Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/...et-gives-cops-quick-access-to-cell-phone-data

The link above leads to a story detailing a new device being used by law enforcement to copy all data from cell phones (including information, contacts, and text messages that have been erased.) I was initially alarmed when reading this and thinking about all of the implications. However, we're beginning to see articles that stomp on the Forth Amendment nearly every day.

Back up your cell phones, folks. And the next time you get pulled over, toss 'em out the window.

·
Five-O
127 Posts
http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/...et-gives-cops-quick-access-to-cell-phone-data

The link above leads to a story detailing a new device being used by law enforcement to copy all data from cell phones (including information, contacts, and text messages that have been erased.) I was initially alarmed when reading this and thinking about all of the implications. However, we're beginning to see articles that stomp on the Forth Amendment nearly every day.

Back up your cell phones, folks. And the next time you get pulled over, toss 'em out the window.
You'll get a littering citation and the Officer will recover your phone anyway. Let me know how that works out for you.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I'm sure the criminals will find a way to wipe their phone or otherwise get around it and it will just be an invasion of privacy to good folks and yet another small erosion of our rights. An electro-magnet cradle or an app to overwrite data so it is more difficult to recover or a number to call that connects them to who they really want to talk to so that the actual number is not in the phone or codes or they'll start using pay phones or borrowing phones or have a phone someplace and not carry it in their cars.

My prediction is that eventually we'll hear about cases of unauthorized use by LEO's downloading their wife/husband's phones or someone who isn't supposed to have access to the records stealing credit card numbers from people or peoples' private photos showing up on sites.

I liked the one guy's comment that he was a lawyer and used his phone for confidential messages with his clients. I wonder how that will play into it.

·
Jihaadi GoBOOM
5,365 Posts
This is a very expensive, sophisticated device, only available to law enforcement that bypasses all security measures. Funny, now someone finds Apple made Iphones to record your every move.
Remember that, when you buy your Iphone. All data of your movements, forever, in there for the downloading. Anything else in hidden files, who knows? No, no more Apple products for me, in fact I think this is big enough it will take Apple down... Yes, I AM going to short the stock.

·
Five-O
127 Posts
The reality is that most law enforcement agencies will never have this technology. With the way the economy is tanking, a lot of officers are lucky to have jobs, much less new technology.

Don't worry, you don't have to "toss the phone out the window" yet.

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
Some newer phones store gps locations that you make calls from...I'm sure if your a drug dealer the cops will find this useful with their new machine........

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
You can erase an iPhone and reset to new. Cops need a warrant to search a vehicle still. Use opsec and no worries. Devise a code. Why would a cop want/care to see you phone? Can't think of any reasons myself. The phone co. Has the info on where you are and have been and that's spotty at best.

Can they do this remotely of need access to the phone?

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
The reality is that most law enforcement agencies will never have this technology. With the way the economy is tanking, a lot of officers are lucky to have jobs, much less new technology.

Don't worry, you don't have to "toss the phone out the window" yet.
I think this is probably truth. My nephew is in LE. And when I went to visit this fall I saw his issue gear. Really sad. Gave him my IFAK, all they were issued were bobo kits. It was a major city in the mid west too. He said they just buy what they feel they really need and some stuff isn't allowed due to policies set higher up ( better body armor, self defense items, weapon acc. ect. )

Sorry to ramble on.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
You can erase an iPhone and reset to new. Cops need a warrant to search a vehicle still. Use opsec and no worries. Devise a code. Why would a cop want/care to see you phone? Can't think of any reasons myself. The phone co. Has the info on where you are and have been and that's spotty at best.

Can they do this remotely of need access to the phone?
Can't reset while driving or even fast unless you have practiced.
Cops don'y need a warrant.... if you don't have a witness !
They could harm you or plant contraband on you with impunity.

·
Five-O
127 Posts
Can't reset while driving or even fast unless you have practiced.
Cops don'y need a warrant.... if you don't have a witness !
They could harm you or plant contraband on you with impunity.
I hate to burst your bubble, but law enforcement doesn't keep a stash of rock cocaine in their glove box to plant on random citizens. Real life does not equal the movie Training Day. Turn your TV off and wake up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It amazes me that some people have enough foresight to plan like they do on these forums and the intelligence to learn all of these great skills but are still retarded enough to think that Patrol Officers are going to randomly pull them over and scan their phone. News flash...unless you are doing something criminal nobody cares whats on your phone. Even if you are doing something criminal nobody probably gives a crap about your phone. These things are not cheap and in most cases cannot be used without a warrant. Besides all you have to do is contact the phone carrier to obtain calls and texts.

·
Five-O
127 Posts
It amazes me that some people have enough foresight to plan like they do on these forums and the intelligence to learn all of these great skills but are still retarded enough to think that Patrol Officers are going to randomly pull them over and scan their phone. News flash...unless you are doing something criminal nobody cares whats on your phone. Even if you are doing something criminal nobody probably gives a crap about your phone. These things are not cheap and in most cases cannot be used without a warrant. Besides all you have to do is contact the phone carrier to obtain calls and texts.
Its called a lack of knowledge and ignorance.

·
Evolutionist
349 Posts
yawn...

aside from the continuous taking away of our personal freedoms as Americans, which really suucks... Why worry about it? I'm no criminal, I'm not working dope deals, or trading in illegal arms, or texting little girls. If this BS helps to jail away some scum bags, good!:thumb:

·
Registered
10 Posts
The local law enforcement and the public school district where I live already have this device.

No warrant is needed if you are asked for the phone and hand it over.

Public school district employees have even less rights. Hand it over for an investigation or be subject to termination.

·
Registered
76 Posts
WhisperSystems currently has an application for Android devices to encrypt the entire phone including the SD Card. It's only available for the Nexus S at this time but they plan on rolling it out to iphones, and all other Android devices. They also have RedPhone, which encrypts phone calls.

http://www.whispersys.com/

·
Registered
88 Posts
Here is a healthy dose of reality... Usually in a medium sized department (say 500 officers), a grand total of 2 officers have access to said device and are authorized to use it.

Two, when I pull you over, I don't want your cell phone unless I think you are involved in heavy criminal activity, like trafficking. Do you really think I want into everyone's cell phone when I pull them over for rolling that stop sign? I don't. As long as you don't have warrants and your car doesn't smell like some illicit substance, you'll get a warning and I won't even know you have a cell phone. Because I don't care.

Three, if I do care and I want into your cell phone, I still can't just go through it and hook it up to said device. Why? Because you have an expectation of privacy to your cell phone's contents. I have to call a police legal advisor and get a search warrant drawn up and signed... Another two hours of my life gone like that. I don't want into your cell phone.

Four, let's say none of the above was the case... The likelihood of a small or medium sized department actually having this device is null. Why? Because the economy sucks. Departments are laying off personnel and can't even put updated computers in their patrol cars. If they can't do that, why would they waste money on something that will not provide a good return on the investment.

Rover, police don't need a warrant to search a car in most states. I won't expound on that. And even if you reset the phone, the data is still there until it has been overwritten.

Tachmonite, police on TV plant evidence. Police in the real world usually know that winning one case is not worth losing $50,000 a year when they get caught. Are there dirty cops? Yes. Is it the norm? No, despite what Hollywood wants everyone to believe.

KawiGreen, you do have an expectation to privacy on your cell phone. At least in my circuit.

Morbeeeus, they should sue. But understand, an employer can get away with more than law enforcement.

In 5 years, I have seized only two cell phones for a search warrant. They were both owned by big time crack dealers who were not nice people. Please understand, if a law enforcement tool becomes available, it isn't to go after Joe Citizen. It is to go after the bad guy and cut the head off the wolf.

The vast majority of officers I know support and encourage you to exercise your right to bear arms and to get a concealed carry license. The majority think the government sucks and is run by a bunch of really dumb people (or super intelligent lab monkies).

·
Registered
338 Posts
we (in the security industry) have known this for some time. Especially about the iPhone. You can read some information about the iPhone here: http://petewarden.github.com/iPhoneTracker/

I've been working on a privacy enhancer for a while to prevent this kind of data snooping this kind of machine won't be able to pull since they only look in specific areas for certain kinds of data.

And yes, I do own/have access to one of these: http://www.cellebrite.com/forensic-products.html

1 - 20 of 55 Posts