Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think we have become acostumed to many commodities that we may find hard to live without. One of the things that I'm sure will need is a fair amount of fuel to get where I'm going and one tank of fuel will not do the job. I've considered a fuel transfer tank, but was told that the fuel will only be good for about three months. I want to store at least 150 gallons of diesel, but I'm also concerned with safety. As far as I understand it is not illegal, but I have to yet confirm that information. Does anyone have proper information on how to store fuel for a longer period of time?
Thanks.

·
Free Mason
1,100 Posts
Diesel for over the road use lasts a long time. I believe the three months you mentioned is for gasoline. I have a diesel truck I tow my camper with. It is parked all winter long (4 to 5 months) with no problem. I do add a diesel fuel stabilizer in the fall and prior to storage.

For my tractors I use home heating oil. I also add DSF to the oil. This is more for the anti-gelling than long term storage. I have used home heating oil that was 2.5 years old. I had no problems.

People have told me that the biggest problem with old diesel fuel is bacteria fouling.

·
Deplorable
160 Posts
Bio bore is good for diesel as well. I'm stationed in Erie, PA. We pull our puts in the winter because the lake freezes. We still use diesel for the boiler but our 500 gal gas tank just sits all winter. We throw some stabil in that and have never had a problem come spring.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,564 Posts
Diesel stores for 8-10 years if you can keep the moisture in the air from condensing in the tank and if you prevent bacteria growth. Diesel stabilizers keep the moisture dispersed and prevent bacteria growth.

Your truck should have a water separator on the fuel pump, keep a spare filter or two. I also keep my two aux tanks completely full. No air in tank = no moisture condensate.

I have a similar range issue with my Dodge Diesel. I installed a second large aux tank taking me up to 165 gal and a range of over 2000 miles towing the 5th wheel.

·
JAFO
133 Posts
I'd bet the 3 months is for gas. The ethanol in it breaks down real fast. Lots of small engines are having problems with water due to the ethanol. My generator had so much water in the float bowl it froze and dumped the tank out the overflow. I've been using BG dryer. So far so good. I'm looking for a source of ethanol free gas?

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
Diesel lasts a lot longer than gas does. Both can be preserved and preserved diesel will last for years. It can also be retreated to give it even longer life. Look for PRI-D as a treatment. It works far better than Stabil and allows for retreatmend. I store a lot of diesel myself.

·
Registered
34,022 Posts
I agree with Hicks and MikeK, if he wants to just store 150 gallons could he potentially store it in (15) ten gallon cans with PRI-D or something simular and also rotate it out??

I store gas in 5 gallon can with no addictives because I rotate it out through the cars

just wondering

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
I agree with Hicks and MikeK, if he wants to just store 150 gallons could he potentially store it in (15) ten gallon cans with PRI-D or something simular and also rotate it out??

I store gas in 5 gallon can with no addictives because I rotate it out through the cars

just wondering
Rotating is always the best idea, but preserving is important because we'll probably be using less fuel after the SHTF. That fuel might have to sit for a few years. At least hopefully we'll be able to meet our fuel needs for a few years. I originally started storing diesel in preparation for a tractor and for my diesel generator. I no longer need the generator and I never bought the tractor, but my van is diesel.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,564 Posts
HICK,
Whould the filter or hose area in a transfer tank allow air and/or moisture in, even when the tank is completely full? What are your thoughts?
I believe that any decent aux fuel tank is designed with some empty space to allow for thermal expansion of the fuel. You cant have the tank splitting at the seams on a hot day. This expansion volume is air and contains some moisture.

When I fill a 55 gal drum with fuel, I fill it as much as possible. But even that leaves an inch or two of air. While I have reduced the problem, I have not eliminated. I am not going to spend the money for internal fuel bladders or back filling with a dry inert gas.

Even when we stored 500 gals of diesel on the farm we just filled the tank as much as possible. Because the condensation problem is far more acute in the winter, we would add stabilizer to the diesel winter mix we bought in the fall.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
Even when we stored 500 gals of diesel on the farm we just filled the tank as much as possible. Because the condensation problem is far more acute in the winter, we would add stabilizer to the diesel winter mix we bought in the fall.
There are a couple things that can be done to help with the condensation problem. First off, like you mentioned, is to keep the headspace at as much of a minimum as possible. But in humid areas or colder regions, it's still going to happen, especially as we use the fuel level down.

A good algecide will keep nasties from growing in the storage tank and breaking down the fuel. I also discovered that Ballistol added to the vehicle fuel tank occasionally will emulsify any water and let you burn it. That keeps me from having to drain my water seperator, which on my cargo van is a royal pain to get to. It's expensive when bought in smaller quantities, but if you buy direct in case lots of gallon or 5 gallon cans, they'll sell wholesale. Since I use a lot of it around the house and shop anyway, it just made sense.

It's also an exceptional injector lubricant and helps make up for the crappy ultra low sulfur diesel that they sell now. My van hates that stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.