Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently been stashing fuel in 55 gallon drums under some pine trees Massive lighting storm last night kinda had me worryied.,I might just have a nice fireball to deal with. I was thinking I might need to hammer in a ground rod and ground these drums. Anyone have any advice?

·
Banned
790 Posts
I've recently been stashing fuel in 55 gallon drums under some pine trees Massive lighting storm last night kinda had me worryied.,I might just have a nice fireball to deal with. I was thinking I might need to hammer in a ground rod and ground these drums. Anyone have any advice?
Grounding them is helpful but it's very unlikely they would get hit by lightning anyway. I'd be more worried about the storm knocking the tree down onto the drums and breaking them open.

Your real problem is the containers themselves: Standard 55 gallon drums are not intended to be used for long term storage, certainly not long term storage outdoors. You're probably committing some EPA & zoning code violations too.

If you are that concerned about safety, then install the appropriate permanent storage tank.

~Tevin~

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,959 Posts
What Tevin said. ^

Reactions: Tevin

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Pine Trees-MOVE

YEAH,:eek:
Pine Trees, are notorious lightning magnets.
Besides the sap is one helluva Fire Starter- MOVE NOW- If not Sooner.PLEASE.:eek:

No White Flag Above My Door
Daveeds

·
Father figure
405 Posts
30,000 amps at 30,000 degrees is going to play hell with a steel drum full of gas, ground strap or not.
Then there's the Murphy's Law of leakage. 55 gallons of gas will contaminate around 50 million gallons of water and gravity never changes.
There's probably a hundred times (or more) the possibility of human error causing a safety problem than a direct hit from a lightning bolt.
Something to think about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts