Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard Sta-Bil and Pri-G are available in Australia but I haven't had any luck finding them and a few emails/calls to the American producers hasn't helped get in touch with Australian distributors either.
Star Tron is a similar product for stabilising petroleum. Supposed to extend the shelf life of petrol to one year. Sun World in Australia have started distributing it out here, mainly through fishing shops. Their website is here

http://www.sunworld.net.au/startron.html

and I found them very helpful. They took my number, tracked down the closest retailer stocking it and called me back same day with the info.

I should have the bottle Friday. I'll stock some fuel up and try to remember to re-post in six months with an update on how well it performs.

And yes, i know, I should just get a diesel. Out of the budget at the moment I'm afraid.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Diesel down here is 1.44 at the moment, petrol 1.14.the highest it got here was 1.59
My husband wants to get some stabilers, thanks Jamtin.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Jamtin is that product different to the additive that Briggs and Stratton sell for unleaded fuel for your mower? I've used a few sachets of that stuff in a 20L jerry of unleaded that I kept in the shed for about 14 months. The fuel looked fine and I put it in a near empty tank in a relative's car and it seemed to work fine. They sell it at Bunnings. Maybe when you get the bottle you could post the list of contents and we could compare?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should have the bottle Friday and I'll post it up. I looked at Bunnings up here and haven't seen anything for stabilising petrol. Could be similar stuff, I keep getting told of places to buy products like this but have only found one lot in the past. POR 15 Inc, and the labelling didn't give me much confidence in the product. Their description of how it "worked" made no sense to me. Anyway, that lot is still in jerry cans waiting for a test.

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
If you can mate,
Store fuel in metal containers, jerry cans etc and, not ethenol blend either if possible.
Some plastic jerry cans react with fuel, particularly ethenol blend. Ethenol tends to be hydroscopic, absorbing moisture from the air.
Some vehicle engine management systems are particularly sensative to this.
Maybe the additive negates this.

Reactions: Hill Walker

·
Registered
158 Posts
Here's a link to the stuff we use. In my local Bunnings they sometimes have it in this size. Local mower shop has it in smaller plastic pouches that you tear open. They claim it extends the life of the fuel up to 24 months and I think that means it stops the fuel degrading. I think Dragon is right that you'd need to be careful to avoid moisture getting into the fuel, don't think the additive stops that. Also not sure that it stops all bacteria. But our jerry was new and full to the top and no moisture problem I could detect. Could always use one of those little test kits the pilots use to test for moisutre - think you can pick those up quite cheap, we've got a few in the shed. Also good point about ethanol mix, we stored premium unleaded for higher octane, but have heard that the more refined the fuel is the shorter the shelf life. Suppose storing a bit of metho to help displace moisture might be a good idea if you were aiming for 24 months and maybe something to help ignition if it was a bit reluctant to fire.

Amazon.com: Briggs & Stratton Fresh Start Fuel Stabilizer Plus 4.2 Oz #5041H: Home Improvement

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
I use Chemtech to stop fungal contamination of diesel, keeps injectors clean too.
Flashlube, I also use with the diesels, helps with a bit of lube in the fuel for the pump and injectors, have found it does make a notable difference to performance.
Flashlube, was originally made for petrol engines, particularly injector types.
Have used metho in the tank of petrol carby engines to absorb any small amounts of water from contaminated fuel or condensation.
Found it very effective and burns very well in the engine, probably increases the octane a bit.
Don't know how it will go with the new injector type engine management systems.
Water in any fuel injection systems can cause a lot of damage to the injectors and other fuel system components.
Some engine fuel systems have water trap type filters as well, so might be a good idea to have some spare or perhaps have one fitted.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Guys i was at one of our suppliers for work on thursday and i thought of this thread! They have fuel stabiliser for industrial gensets, these are pretty much fired up once a month, and otherwise dont run except when a blackout or low power occours. anyway ive left the details at work, but i can get them the place that had it for diesel fuel was called Renseal i believe in Dandynong Vic. was a 5 or 20l drum im pretty sure

also would be worth checking marine fuel stabilisers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts