Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have them and if so what kind? I would like to do at least two trees, and I guess apples would be one, maybe both. Does anyone in the Scranton area know where to purchase these, and does anyone have any experience in this area with them?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
If you are only planting two trees, make sure they are of different varieties as they need to cross pollinate. If there is a crab apple tree in close proximity, that will pollinate an apple tree (so I have read).

There are also trees that are "dwarfed" trees. These are standard trees grafted onto a dwarfed root stock. These trees will start to produce fruit in 3-4 years. Regular trees will take 8-10 years to start producing.

As for the type of apple tree, I don't believe that it really matters. I think they will all do will in your area. I've read that the ground needs to have a good freeze each year for a productive crop.

I'm sorry, that is all the help I can lend.

·
Registered
177 Posts
-goggle "st. lawrence nursery" located in new york they have lots of apple trees and great info. i live in alaska and they are sending me next week 4 apples, 7 plums and 2 cherry trees. i bought every fruit tree/bush that is "circumpolar" last spring (125 plants) and was pleased with this company. must have 200 aple tree varieties

good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts