Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have been in Asheville for the last year and half. I started in NY, Long Island actually, which is where I began to learn about the forests. I moved to Georgia for a few years to teach environmental and outdoor education and found it unrewarding, although I did love being paid to learn about the forests there. Now i am living in North Carolina, After a few years of working in wilderness therapy my focus has shifted to How can I live and survive in the woods. The way the world is going I am defiantly worried and excited about the changes that are coming. I have gathered a few friends and we are working hard at preparing ourselves.
This has been something I have wanted for a long time, but I have not been able to afford to take classes or go to wilderness schools. When I was in college I took the tom brown wilderness class,I've been a bit hesitant to pay for classes since then.
Anyway I was doing searches on different topic like shelter ideas, herbal information, and that is how I found this site. We have a small group of about 5 of us who are trying to get our schedules to line up so we can spend as much time as possible learning and practicing.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Hi, another friend from North Carolina! Welcome to the boards. I hope with all that you have been taught, you will share your knowledge as you also learn new things.

Again, welcome, and I hope you enjoy your stay!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tom Brown

Welcome from Georgia.
Did you not like the Tom Brown class???
I was disappointing, I think at the time I was looking for more spiritual guidance, and now I understand why the survival skills are important for that guidance, but then I didn't understand. I was excited to learn that stuff, but we spent alot of time taking notes, and I just don't learn well that way. We practiced bow drilling, and looked for tracks, which was VERY frustrating. Did some wild flower walks. All else was note taking, I believe the idea was to take the info and practice on our own. I would have liked to try some hands on trapping, or messing around with a hide. It was alot of money and alot of folks were there. I wasn't impressed with Tom Brown, I guess I t felt more like a business to make money than to spread the knowledge. Of course that was my impression then, I don't know how I would see it now. I would however like to attend the year long intensive at Teaching Drum, If I can save up the money

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi neighbor

I live in Marion NC. About 40 miles away ---East---
Things are a little different here than up north. The trees Species are a little different and the undergrowth are too. Still knowing something about up north is a head start on learning about ALL the edible and usable things.Every body got to start somewhere and heres as good a time and place as any. enjoy!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
learning for free? what a concept!

Ow no I'd rather not pay, I haven't met anyone who doesn't charge yet. I'd come to North GA Marion, wherever ! I used to work and live in CLayton GA. I liked it there, but I wasn't sure how to meet others who are interested in living that way. So I came to Asheville, I thought it would be easier to meet folks. We have been hanging up fliers to try to get some folks together, and have met a few, but no one as seriously interested as my friend and I, most folks we speak to have actually just moved here and desire a change in their way of life, but aren't yet willing to do much about it. I would love to visit and see what ya'll are doing, share what little knowledge I have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome neighbor

I'm a little to your east in Scotland County. I was up your way a few years ago looking for a piece of land (wish I had purchased then- prices in the mountains are going sky high and just about out of reach for most of us). What my wife and I are looking for is a few acres (out in the "boonies" if possible- the further from turmoil the better) with possibly a spring or some other water source if possible. I'd appreciate it if you came across something to give me a reply. Also, if you have any info/links/etc. with good info on homesteading and such- that would be much apprecitated too.
Thanks, and once again, Welcome!

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
If you need supplies go visit Tim over at "old Grouch" in Clyde NC, 20 miles west of you. He's a personal friend of mine and a good guy.
His store in on the downtown square.

http://www.oldgrouch.com/

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Welcome from coastal NC

Reactions: SSGNasty

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
If you need supplies go visit Tim over at "old Grouch" in Clyde NC, 20 miles west of you. He's a personal friend of mine and a good guy.
His store in on the downtown square.

http://www.oldgrouch.com/
I go by Clyde when I go up to Cherokee 4 or 5 times a year. He has good prices on the new issue 30 rd mags. Does he have a store or just on line ?

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
I envy you folks up in the Asheville area. That is Gods country when you get 40 miles west of you. I would gladly trade my beach property for mountain property. (except I can ride all year down chere)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts