Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
In the woods
Multiple disciplines
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going over some preps from the last year or so and came across a list that had never been taken care of. On this list is 3 identical Ruger mini 14s. I wanted to get a few rifles for the compound just to have in an emergency. I guess I was looking for a semi auto that was relatively easy to operate, lady friendly and in the same caliber as my AR.

Now that a year has gone by my tastes have shifted a bit, and what really got me thinking is the AK74 setup. It's an easy rig to take care of, and ammo is cheap cheap cheap. I can get a spam can of a thousand rounds for two hundred bucks. 3 of these, plus 3 spam cans and I'm basically good to go right?

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct950.aspx

The Mini 14 can be had for around 600+ USD used around here, so it's a bit more than the AK74, but I bet it is a more quality instrument.

Another rifle that is really cost effective is the SKS, but they look like a friggin telephone pole, and my lady is only 5' tall and a hundred pounds. However, they are very affordable too and so is the ammo. I know about the Russian Saiga as well, but like the SKS I think I would rather have something a little smaller, more compact. I figure I wouldn't be handing out rifles like the CIA in Tripoli, but say we take some family in, they may need a rifle. I can't believe I'm about to drop more than a hundred bucks for a Commie K, but that's the world we live in.... Anihow, got the check from Uncle Sam today, and I'd like to get started on a reloading setup and start my Neighborhood Friends and Family Arsenal. Any thoughts?

-Uncle Billy

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
I was going over some preps from the last year or so and came across a list that had never been taken care of. On this list is 3 identical Ruger mini 14s. I wanted to get a few rifles for the compound just to have in an emergency. I guess I was looking for a semi auto that was relatively easy to operate, lady friendly and in the same caliber as my AR.

Now that a year has gone by my tastes have shifted a bit, and what really got me thinking is the AK74 setup. It's an easy rig to take care of, and ammo is cheap cheap cheap. I can get a spam can of a thousand rounds for two hundred bucks. 3 of these, plus 3 spam cans and I'm basically good to go right?

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct950.aspx

The Mini 14 can be had for around 600+ USD used around here, so it's a bit more than the AK74, but I bet it is a more quality instrument.

Another rifle that is really cost effective is the SKS, but they look like a friggin telephone pole, and my lady is only 5' tall and a hundred pounds. However, they are very affordable too and so is the ammo. I know about the Russian Saiga as well, but like the SKS I think I would rather have something a little smaller, more compact. I figure I wouldn't be handing out rifles like the CIA in Tripoli, but say we take some family in, they may need a rifle. I can't believe I'm about to drop more than a hundred bucks for a Commie K, but that's the world we live in.... Anihow, got the check from Uncle Sam today, and I'd like to get started on a reloading setup and start my Neighborhood Friends and Family Arsenal. Any thoughts?

-Uncle Billy
saiga rifles in 223 are pretty cheap compared to other things and pretty reliable might wanna check em out

Reactions: Uncle Billy

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Thanks FarmerJohn, ya know I never thought of that.... Must be the corn whiskey.
you should be able to pick one up for like 300-400ish

so for the price of one mini14 you could get two saigas msg on rugers site is like 800so it would leave you proportionatly more money to spend on ammo and mags

Reactions: Uncle Billy

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Another option to consider might be the SU16

Same ammo/mags as your AR. ( From a cost standpoint, you already have AR mags, so no need to buy mags for another type of rifler in this case either.)

Very lightweight/compact

Easy to operate/maintain

11B

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
My wife and I have AK 74 Arsenals, but the Bulgarians on NoDaks are $400 or so. Spam can at AIM is $150 or so, with shipping.... GREAT rifles. We love 'em. Mags are dirt cheap, mil-spec, and made to take a lickin'! Easy to operate, maintain, a peasant can do it =)

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'll second the SU-16s, C variant. Lightweight, easy to store because they fold, and interchangeable magazines and ammunition with AR-15s. If they made them in 6x45 I'd be in heaven, but I digress.

Really though, as a hand-out to friends and family, I'd recommend Mosin Nagants, myself. Still less than 150$ per rifle, and ammuniton can still be found for less than 90$/440. It may not be the fastest firing rifle, but with a bit of work it can fire quite accurately, and be quite good at taking deer-sized game should the hordes not come.

Still, any gun is better than no gun, and the more people you have the better off ya are.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
If you're dead set on the 74's, I'd recommend an M-4 stock conversion. That way they can fit both your lady and you.

I guess it comes down to what you need the guns for.
For hunting, the 5.45 round is lacking in my area.

But for blasting and defense, it's good enough.

What do you need?

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
It comes down to economics vs shooters. How much money can you spend divided by how many guns you want?

Cheap/accurate/low power = .22s
Cheap/reliable/mid power = SKS/AK
Good/reliable/accurate/full power = M1A

I think half of the "loaners" should be sidearms.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
One thing to consider, the SKS was used by Koreans during their conflict and the Vietnamese early in theirs. Coincidentally, both of those groups of people are generally in the 5 ft tall and 100 lb range. For a little better comparison, my 14 yr old son who is 5'-6" and weighs 105 handles my SKS quite nicely.

Dont get the wrong idea, Im not saying the SKS is any better than some of the others listed, but if I was going to buy 3 guns that may sit in storage for years without me doing anything with them (just the impression I got from the OP), I would want the lowest price/ highest quality rifle I could get. At $200 ea and war-proven twice, I think the SKS fits that bill.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Another option to consider might be the SU16

Same ammo/mags as your AR. ( From a cost standpoint, you already have AR mags, so no need to buy mags for another type of rifler in this case either.)

Very lightweight/compact

Easy to operate/maintain

11B
+1 on the SU16.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts