Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Where I grew up, in NW Alabama, we used to hunt along the Tenn river.
There we dozens of huge piles of mussel shells where the indians had dug out the mussels for food.
Also arrow heads, which of course, I believe, you cain't pick up, anymore.
No one would eat them, because, back then, the towns dumped raw sewage, into the river.
That section, of river was called 'mussel or muscle shoal,' by the indians.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
When I was in Israel (for two years) I made a huge curry from fresh water mussels that I got out of the sea of Gallilee, very tasty, no ill effects.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
All fresh water bivalves are edible after cooking. It's not only sewage they might contain but liver flukes and the like. The other issue is while all are edible they are all tasty. (Be sure to be on the look out for black pearls in some.)

·
Registered
195 Posts
We have them in the Great Lakes. One of them bit me (or I stepped on the sharp edge) when I was younger and it left a nasty gash on my toe. They taste great though. Don't buy canned ones though. They aren't very good.

·
Registered
274 Posts
We have them in the Great Lakes. One of them bit me (or I stepped on the sharp edge) when I was younger and it left a nasty gash on my toe. They taste great though. Don't buy canned ones though. They aren't very good.
A mussel bit you? Geeze, that's quite an achievement! What's next on the list? Being gored by a carp? :D:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.