Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! I have a problem with pasta in my pantry. We have been storing pasta in rubbermaid containers because I thought that would help with keeping the bugs (weevils) out. However they still get infested in these containers! I am thinking about my long term storage of pasta. I have not done any pasta yet but am afraid of storing this stuff and finding bugs in 10 years!!
So my question is:
If I bag up my pasta (say elbow mac) in my gallon mylar bags, put in my OA's and then freeze the bags for a few days in the deep freezer. Then put them into storage.
Will the freezing ruin the pasta?
Has anyone done this long term and have any results?
I have even thought of doing this with the flour and rice.

tia

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,497 Posts
It won't hurt the pasta, but it might effect the absorber. Besides, with no O2 in the bag, the bugs can't live anyway.

Like I always say, it's best to just package foods like the long term food storage industry is doing it. They have lab testing to prove their methods work. I've seen too many things that "seem like they should work" but don't. They just use mylar and O2 absorbers. Because that's all that's needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh ok. I did not know that. I figured these rubbermaid with sealed tops would not have O2 in the container too. But I guess they do let the air in.
Thanks for the info. It will save me time. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts