Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Shiny
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am working on storing some rice, beans, etc. in mylar bags and buckets. Is it recommended to freeze the food before storing so as to prevent bug hatches? When I lived in Japan, rice beetles would often hatch in my bags of rice if I didn't eat it fast enough. I know you can just submerge buggy grain and the bugs will float. I suppose the bugs are edible protein as well.

I appreciate any advice.

Crusoe.

·
I told you so!
2,707 Posts
Don't know about rice, flour or flour products yes i do i put in mylar bags with o2 absorbers suck out excess air seal then freeze just to make sure. with o2 absorbers and sealed nothing should be able to hatch ( no oxygen) the last step is just insurance. good luck. JT

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
I have heard that on and off for years. But I've also heard that bay leaves or spearmint gum will prevent bugs too and that has been disproven. I have to defer to logic on this and consider that those same bugs survived the winter in some of the coldest states in the country. I doubt your freezer gets that cold.

The low O2 atmosphere of a properly packed food container will limit bug growth to just a few generations. I use food grade diatomaceous earth in mine. It's the same stuff that the packaged food industry uses in things like Bisquick to keep bugs out. It has so many other handy uses that it should be a prep item anyway. And it's cheap.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Yes. Freezing it at 20F overnight will kill the beasties. If you are using O2 absorbers or CO2 storage that will do it as well. You can also kill them by heating to 140 degrees. And yes the bugs are edible protein, something you won't get if you simply eat the rice and nothing else.

·
Are we there yet?
54 Posts
Freezing

Freezing dose work we do it to all of our grains and cereals but we live in an area that has freezing weather we set the buckets in the shed outside and let 0 to +7 weather for a few days (or weeks) do it's job
We still have some food store that we put up for Y2K in 1998 that is bug free.

Dragonsnack

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Reactions: MikeK and Crusoe

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Freezing can lead to moisture in the grain, could it not? That moisture would ruin the grain stores if not dried completely again first.

Heat could destroy the ability to germinate in the future, and I think that would shut out some options regarding planting some of it or sprouting some for more nutrition.

I think I'd rather just use the CO2 absorbers because even insects cannot live without air. Some CAN live in freezing temperatures, of course.

·
Vampire Slayer
7,249 Posts
Sorry, but what is DE? Thanks for the reply.
Adding to the other replies; DE is a micro-abrasive that will kill any insects that hatch by damaging their bodies. It is not harmful to animals or humans. Just be sure to get the food-grade version. I use it in addition to the oxygen absorbers which should actually be sufficient in themselves, but when you're storing a lot of stuff, it doesn't hurt to be a little extra careful.

·
Shiny
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Adding to the other replies; DE is a micro-abrasive that will kill any insects that hatch by damaging their bodies. It is not harmful to animals or humans. Just be sure to get the food-grade version. I use it in addition to the oxygen absorbers which should actually be sufficient in themselves, but when you're storing a lot of stuff, it doesn't hurt to be a little extra careful.
Thanks. I've never heard of DE before. Do you mix it with the grain? If so what is the ratio?

·
Vampire Slayer
7,249 Posts
Thanks. I've never heard of DE before. Do you mix it with the grain? If so what is the ratio?
I use about one half cup for a five gallon bucket. I stir it with a long spoon, and then after I seal the bucket I roll it around a bit. The idea is to get it fairly well mixed in with the grain so that any bugs that hatch will be exposed to it. You can rinse the grain before you use it if you like, or you can leave it.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
They use it in the grain silos at a rate of 7 lbs per ton. That works out to about half a cup per 5 gallons. It's very light weight. Wear a dust mask as it throws off dust very easy and it's not good to breath it in.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I always believed in the freezing thing to until the other day. I burn corn for heat which is stored in the garage. The feed store also keeps this stored in an unheated building. It was -14 the other morning and I went to scoop some corn . . . out flew a moth.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
I always believed in the freezing thing to until the other day. I burn corn for heat which is stored in the garage. The feed store also keeps this stored in an unheated building. It was -14 the other morning and I went to scoop some corn . . . out flew a moth.
That's what I've always figured too. The folks who freeze theirs and say they never have bugs, probably have grains that don't have any bug eggs to start with. I don't freeze mine and I've put away several batches before I learned about DE and none of them had bugs either. They just didn't have any bug eggs, and I sealed the grain away from the moths so they never got the chance to lay any.

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
Some Grains will have a certified organic (and edible) insect powder (diatomaceous earth) on them to keep grain weevils (little tiny insects that eat a perfect hole right through a kernel of grain) at bay. We very rarely have grain that has this powder on it. We prefer freezing which is another way to control grain weevils, but if your grain is powdery, just rinse like you would any other seed before Soaking.
http://sproutpeople.org/sprouts/grow/seedprep.html

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.