Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
left coast survivalist
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hiking friend has a website, freezerbagcooking.com

Freezer bag cooking is very easy. Mix together some rice or couscous, dried vegetables, seasonings, maybe a foil pouch of chicken or salmon, add near boiling water, then place the freezer bag in a "cozie" and let rehydrate. You eat right out of the bag and there's no dishes to do afterward!
I take freezer bag meals while backpacking and dayhiking and was thinking, this would be perfect for preps. You can fix two weeks worth of freezer bag meals and keep them on hand or put some in your bug out bag. The meals are very lightweight, and take up little space. They are also cheaper than the expensive freeze dried meals such as Mountain House.

So, check out the site. :thumb:

·
left coast survivalist
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great idea for the person on a budget, what exactly is a cozy? like for beer??

T
Kinda. The owner of the site sells custom cozies made out of special insulating materials. They are sized to fit a standard quart sized freezer bag. The trick is to keep the heat in while the meal is being rehydrated.

In a pinch, a hat or sweater can be used as a cozy. That's what I use when I forget mine on a hike. :eek::

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
Freezer bags can withstand boiling, I have fixed a few omelets with them before.
Just be sure to use the good ones like Zip-Loc,.....the cheaper ones, not so good.:D:

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
There have been articles that say that this type of cooking is not safe. The companies say that cooking with there bags can release something and that the bags ar not meant for that kind of heat. Google the safty issues before trying.

·
6,173 Posts
Have a look please!

"We have contacted the Ziploc company and they replied by telling us that ZIPLOC® brand Bags cannot be used to boil food. They also told us that they do not manufacture a "boilable" bag.... yet.

"They do not recommend using any ZIPLOC® brand Bag in boiling water, or to "boil" in the microwave. ZIPLOC® brand Bags are made from polyethylene plastic with a softening point of approximately 195 degrees Fahrenheit. By pouring near boiling water (water begins to boil at 212 degrees) into the bag, or putting the bag into the water, the plastic could begin to melt. Might I add that eggs and cheese have fat which gets much hotter than water thus the likelihood of melting the plastic increases.

http://camping.about.com/od/campingrecipes/a/ziplocbaggies.htm

·
Moving west
188 Posts
I highly recommend this web site and the cookbook. If you are pouring hot water into the bag and it starts to melt, the water is over 212F. I have never had a problem using this method, as all food is precooked and dried. All I am doing is reconstituting it. I think the term "cooking" is miss leading.

·
6,173 Posts
I highly recommend this web site and the cookbook. If you are pouring hot water into the bag and it starts to melt, the water is over 212F. I have never had a problem using this method, as all food is precooked and dried. All I am doing is reconstituting it. I think the term "cooking" is miss leading.

Softning point of the bags is 195 and boiling starts at 212, there is 17 degrees in between. The bags do not need boiling water to start melting, the foods that are being cooked will often heat up quiker and hotter than thought. Some of the aprroved plastic containers will get burn holes when a oily food touches but not where foods like breads or other non oily food touches (cheese sandwich nuked cheese oozes out and melts plastice but bread does not do damage to container). I PERSONALLY don't use ANY plastic when heating food because of the chemicals that leach out during heating-no matter how minute it may be.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
I try my best to keep plastic away from my food. I am a long way from 100% successful but I do what I can.

Even if you do not want to prepare the recipes in the bag you can still use them. Just tip them into a cup or thermos.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts