Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Political Watchdog
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if y'all have used freecycle or not, but I would suggest that there are advantages for using the group. For those who are unfamiliar, freecycle is a yahoo group that is region specific, and serves to help local people exchange unwanted items...FOR FREE! It's like recycling your working items to a person who will use them and/or needs them. I KNOW I KNOW!!! It sounds like another green tree hugging hippie blah blah, BUT it is a nice way to pick up some good gear...FOR FREE!!! And of course you get the satisfaction of giving your unwanted items to a person in need! Just thought I would post the idea and let y'all make up your own mind if you want to try it or not. I found the group for my area by googling "freecycle+(your city/area)" Enjoy! Hope someone can get some use of it!:thumb:

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Freecycle can be great, but be careful of bedbugs and fleas. I know a lady who got a nightstand from freecycle and her whole house became infested with bedbugs. She ended up spending $2500 on exterminators. Make sure you inspect and wash everything before bringing it in your home. If you live in a hot area, you can put the items in your car to heat and kill any bugs in them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have used my local freecycle several times...I have given several baby items away and have gotten a good amount of used clothes for my kids. I found a wonderful woman who was well off and spent her time shopping for her kids. Most of the clothes went unworn...so I got clothes with tags still on.

I think it is a nice way to keep stuff from ending up in the dump

·
Political Watchdog
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed with bed bugs. There is some pretty bad stuff out there, but I have found that with my group occurrences like that are very rare. I guess there are always risks in taking a strangers stuff.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Agreed with bed bugs. There is some pretty bad stuff out there, but I have found that with my group occurrences like that are very rare. I guess there are always risks in taking a strangers stuff.
Yes, I think that I'm obsessed with bedbugs. Everytime I see a couch or mattress by the curb, I think, "It probably has bedbugs in it!" :)

Still, it's always better safe than sorry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts