Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
6 Boys and 13 Hands
10,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Free security updates for Windows XP -- until 2019

The workaround makes use of updates for Windows Embedded Industry (formerly known as Windows Embedded POSReady). This is based on Windows XP Service Pack 3, and the security updates which are being released for it are essentially the same ones Microsoft would have pushed out for XP, if it was still doing so.

This involves making a change to the registry so as usual any change to the registry can have detrimental effects on the OS, so make sure you always backup your registry before attempting any registry change.

This is for 32 bit OS only and the 64 bit is here

See there's hope for us Bitter Clingers. :)

·
Banned
6,236 Posts
First of july i'm going with a Chromebox. I'm done with Windows and every aggravating thing related to it. I'll use my external hard drive to store my farm files and family pictures and their cloud service for my games. No more updates, viruses, patches, slow speeds, downloads, uploads, or Microsoft BS. And i don't care if they spy on me at Google. I Don't have anything to hide and someone will come up with a way to block the popup ads and tracking sooner or later anyways.

·
Getting There!
11,458 Posts
I'm a clinger! I really like the leanness of XP and it is all but rock solid on my hardware.

The article says that many users are moving away from XP, but I chalk that up to the folks buying new PCs with 7 or 8 pre-installed, rather than that many really are willing to give up a perfectly good OS.

I hope that those of us that possess installation CDs and know how to use them are numerous enough to force MS to provide security updates on into the future. There is absolutely nothing wrong with XP except that MS cannot rack up a bunch of money by trying to force everyone to buy a newer OS.

Here is a really cool program that I'm running right now on an old laptop that I bought:

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

WSUS Offline Update

Using "WSUS Offline Update", you can update any computer running Microsoft Windows and Office safely, quickly and without an Internet connection.
Please note the patch coverage information.

As licensed under "GNU GPL", you still may download and use the software from this site for free. Nevertheless, your donation would help to keep this state.
You will need version 9.2, as that is the last version that includes Windows XP. When you run it it will ask if you want to upgrade to the newest version and you'll need to decline.

Make sure that you have plenty of disk space, select the legacy tab, XP English (or your preferred language), set the target, or download directory and let 'er rip. It will download all MS updates from SP3 on saving them so that you will have them. It also includes dot net and C++ runtime libraries and only downloads the updates that you need; grabbing updates that supersede older ones.

:thumb:

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I moved from w2k to XP in 2002 and by 2003 was already done with XP, it was a big step down from 2k. If your a gamer chances are your old hardware won't run the newer games anyway so there is nothing else Microsoft is needed for.

·
Getting There!
11,458 Posts
I moved from w2k to XP in 2002 and by 2003 was already done with XP, it was a big step down from 2k. If your a gamer chances are your old hardware won't run the newer games anyway so there is nothing else Microsoft is needed for.
Kinda odd, but whatever. To each his own I guess. Neither of us will be chipping into the MS fund I guess.

It's 2014. I'm not a gamer. And I hope to be using XP on up until 2019 if my hardware holds up. I bought a bunch of old laptops. :)

Edit: I'm using WSUS Offline to update one of the old laptops right now. It's working like a charm. This program also grabs the up[dates for Office, btw.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I loved windows xp. I had it on my desktop. Xp is better than vista, windows 7 or windows 8. My laptop that I am using now is windows 8. If I want to play with apps, I will tinker with a smartphone. I downloaded a program that makes it like regular old windows and never use an app.

These companies don't have it figured out. It would be like if they only made a 1911 for a year or two and then they rolled out the 1912. There are many different guns out there and some are seen as improvements on the 1911 design. But people like the 1911 and it works well. So they keep selling the 1911 and they keep making parts for them.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Kinda odd, but whatever. To each his own I guess. Neither of us will be chipping into the MS fund I guess.

It's 2014. I'm not a gamer. And I hope to be using XP on up until 2019 if my hardware holds up. I bought a bunch of old laptops. :)

Edit: I'm using WSUS Offline to update one of the old laptops right now. It's working like a charm. This program also grabs the up[dates for Office, btw.
XP was when IE was fully integrated with the OS so it became one big security hole. IN 2003 we didn't have alternatives like we do now nor anti-spyware, etc. After my XP laptop was infected twice I made the Linux switch. Think about today, the Windows apps you use on XP are going to stop being supported so you may as well switch over. Many are already running Chrome/Chromium, Firefox, Thunderbird, etc. Download Open/LibreOffice and switch. No need for XP anymore.

·
Retired curmudgeon
19,555 Posts
First of july i'm going with a Chromebox. I'm done with Windows and every aggravating thing related to it. I'll use my external hard drive to store my farm files and family pictures and their cloud service for my games. No more updates, viruses, patches, slow speeds, downloads, uploads, or Microsoft BS. And i don't care if they spy on me at Google. I Don't have anything to hide and someone will come up with a way to block the popup ads and tracking sooner or later anyways.
Chrome OS is just another flavor of Linux. Except it is severely crippled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome_OS

"Chrome OS is a Linux kernel-based operating system designed by Google to work primarily with web applications. The user interface takes a minimalist approach and consists almost entirely of just the Google Chrome web browser; since the operating system is aimed at users who spend most of their computer time on the Web, the only "native" applications on Chrome OS are a browser, media player and file manager. This means that Chrome OS is almost a pure web thin client OS."

IMHO, just download one of the latest Linux distributions, install it on a USB thumb drive, and make it an alternate boot device.

You can try it out without messing up your windoze box.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I moved on from XP on my home machines in 2009 and have been using Windows 7 ever since. I haven't looked back and couldn't be happier. Not very pleased with how microsoft handled Windows 8 however. But from a security standpoint alone, going to Windows 7 was a smarter move, and a lot of my software doesn't even support XP anymore.

XP will live on as one of my favorite operating systems, but it was time to move on. It had a great run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts