Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading about cutting expenses and preparing for as little money as possible, I started to think about all the preparedness that can actually be done for FREE, and how this FREE prepping actually covers many of the most important key points.

FREE Water: Filling up empty jugs or soda plastic bottles. It’s pretty much free except for the tap water you use, and if kept in a dark place it will last for a couple years, before it starts tasting too much like plastic. (better to rotate each year)

FREE first aid:
It’s probably one of the easiest things to do.
Check with the Red Cross http://www.redcrossofsantamonica.org/article.aspx?a=6220
Ask in your local hospital or community center.

FREE craftsmanship classes: Sometimes you find terrific classes and you don’t have to spend a penny, the district or government pays for it. Carpentry, plumbing, electricity or welding would be my top priorities so as to learn to fix things around the house.
My grandparents were carpenters and I learned a lot from them, but that may not be your case.
It’s important to have a basic handyman set of skills, and if you didn’t already learn it from your parent like I did, if you look around you may learn most of it for FREE. :D
FREE hand to hand training: I practice vale todo and ground fighting for FREE.
My son’s TKD instructor is a vale todo fighter and was looking for a partner to train with. We spar and in exchange I get some free lessons. I already knew boxing and that seemed to work well for him.
All I have to pay for is the gym fee, and some tai boxing lessons with a different instructor.
If you look around and contact guys in your area, you’ll soon find people that are also looking for a sparring buddy, and maybe you can exchange knowledge, say a few shooting lessons for some knife fighting and H2H.
Just try it! If you have some skill to teach in exchange or even just offer to spar in exchange for a few lessons, you can practice a lot for FREE.

FREE defensive shooting training:
OK, here you need a few lessons and the basic gear and trigger time, but once you have that, you can do a lot for FREE.
Setting up various “targets” either paper targets, some you make up with cardboard or even some big silly teddy bears.
Setting these make-believe “bad guys” around the house and going through the place dry firing ( Caution!) can be some of the best as close as it gets training, practicing in the actual area where you may one day defend your life and the life of your loved ones.
Even better, get someone else to arrange the “bad guys” so you don’t know the location as you move around.
You need the weapon and previous training, and be careful about the dry firing, but again, dry firing is FREE, and it’s one of the best kept secrets of competition shooters.

Even if you have no firearms training, shooting schools sometimes offer FREE classes, look around and do some research to find if there’s any coming up soon.

Shooters in general are passionate about their addiction and many will willingly take you shooting, and give you a few FREE lessons. Just be kind enough and pay for the ammo. I took more than a few newbies to their first shooting session, and by the time we were ready to leave they had no problem keeping their shots center of mass at a respectable distance with a big bore handgun.

FREE information: You already have access to a computer and internet. Use it! The amount of information is endless, and most of it is FREE.

Try to make the most of your internet time, reducing the amount of time you fool around, and spend more time looking for useful information.

There’s lots of field manuals in PDF ( don just download them, READ them!) , as well as some excellent essays.
Where there’s no doctor, and where there’s no dentist are just a small example of what you can find.
I download and print the most important pieces.
If you are up to it, you could even bind it yourself… for FREE. :p
http://www.aboutbookbinding.com/

FerFAL

http://ferfal.blogspot.com/2008/12/free-prepping.html

·
Preparing...
1,302 Posts
Collect wild fruits and nuts then preserve them, they are free.

If you know any farmers you could help them out for a weekend if they are kind they are likely to give you some free produce.
(i got over 40 free fruit bushes for 2 days work, i also learnt a lot about farming)

Think outside the box.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Good post Ferfal! :thumb:

It's probably packaged differently down your way, but up here the last 10 years or so the environazis have made the milk and water jugs out of cheap biodegradable plastic. About a year or so seems to be average- I'm sure some have gotten better than that.

I found this out the hard way years ago- had a couple hundred lbs. of rice (back when you could get actual 100 lb. bags) in my walk in closet. It was hurricane season in Florida and I had water jugs in there too. Some time later I found one of the jugs had leaked and ruined 200 lbs. of rice!! :taped: My fault for being a dunski :xeye:

Folks can also volunteer at state parks, thereby usually getting free access to camping areas. One state park about an hour north of us puts on a "Pioneer Day" once a year where they showcase 1800 and 1900's homesteading type skills. You can learn a lot just going and watching, then going home and trying the skill.

Great point on the dry firing. The muscle memory stuff for pistol and rifle can both be worked on without ever firing a shot. With empty mags you can sit around while watching the boob tube and practice your mag changes, shouldering your weapon, malfunction drills. You can lay on the floor and "aim" at a electric plug and dry fire to practice the skills necessary for a good shot. To most people this is more beneficial that actual shooting practice.

Some family on the wife's side volunteers at a food bank. They evidently always load her up with all kinds of food for her help.

Back years ago when I was pretty busy I would bring my pack to a local park that had a 2 mile walking track. I would do 4 miles or so every couple of nights, taking my cell along to talk to customers who called :D: I was working 6 days a week and didn't have much time to camp or hike, but this was something I could do to help stay fit.

Basically where their is a will, there is a way! :thumb:

Lowdown3

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Squirrels & rabbits abound around many areas. Get an air rifle or practice your snare traps, but check with local game laws 1st.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good post Ferfal! :thumb:

It's probably packaged differently down your way, but up here the last 10 years or so the environazis have made the milk and water jugs out of cheap biodegradable plastic. About a year or so seems to be average- I'm sure some have gotten better than that.
Things are a bit more 3rd worldly now. :)
The cold coke I’m sipping now has sugar instead of corn syrup and came out of a reusable 1.25 L glass bottle of Coke.:D:

Glass coke bottles were gone but came back after the crisis. One of the few good things it brought. At least to me, it tastes much better than plastic.

FerFAL

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree. Their are some convenience stores around here that somehow get Pepsi in glass bottles from Mexico. I buy a bottle whenever I can find it like that. Plastic just does something to the taste of soda, I'm thinking there is probably a chemical reaction to the acid or something?
According to what I read somewhere, seems that all plastics ( to a greater or lesser degree depending on quality) leave that plastic taste because small microscopic particles get loose from it’s surface.

FerFAL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts