Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prey is a free open source program that tracks and finds your computer if it is stolen.

http://preyproject.com/

Recover what is rightfully yours

Prey helps you locate your missing laptop by sending timed reports with a bunch of information of its whereabouts. This includes the general status of the computer, a list of running programs and active connections, fully-detailed network and wifi information, a screenshot of the running desktop and — in case your laptop has an integrated webcam — a picture of the thief.

Prey uses a remote activation system which means the program sits silently in your computer until you actually want it to run. If so, it gathers all the information and sends it to your Prey web control panel or directly to your mailbox. The thief will never know his movements are being watched.
And because there’s always hope

You may be thinking “but what’s the point of this program if the guy will probably just format the thing right away?” and you’re completely right. However, experience shows that thieves tend to look in stolen computers for valuable information, so there’s actually a chance you can catch the guy (and there’s even some successful cases!).

Besides, if by using Prey you can keep alive a tiny bit of hope that you’ll recover your computer, isn’t it already worth it?

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Um. No thanks. Keep it in sight, in your bag or trusted areas. get a lock. Do not install watch software. Open source is nice because you can look at the code, open is source is also bad, because ANYONE can look at the code to create exploits. Hell, somebody steals my laptop, they'd have to pull the electrical tape off the web cam.

No, I'm not wearing my tinfoil hat. I did computer security for a stint in my youth, and know how crafty bright 15 year olds can be.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
The safest way to secure a laptop's contents, not the lappy itself, is to boot to it using a portable HD that fits in your pocket. No software can prevent it being stolen in the first place nor guarantee it's safe return. There is another ap like the one mentioned above called Adeona
http://adeona.cs.washington.edu/
but they seem to always have server problems.
I have prey 0.3.3 on my hd but no laptop.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
No thanks, sorry but an encrypted HD means never having to say, the competition got our ideas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.