Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
60 yrs in spite of gov.
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of you may already know this but Wal Mart bakerys gets frosting in 5 gal buckets. They have a good seal in the lid and as a bonus, sometimes have a good amount of frosting in them.:D:
It's a good idea to ask for them when they are not in a rush hour. I have gotten as many as five at a time but sometimes they wont give you any at all. Seems to depend on who and when you ask.
Hope this helps sombody.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Local bakeries may still say yes....
Question..how many buckets of say wheat or rice would you need for a family of four?
the mylar and oxygen pkgs are expensive....

·
Registered
41 Posts
I went to my Walmart yesterday and asked, they said "how many", took 10(free).

Doughnut shops use the same buckets, they charged me 2 for $3

Kroger only had one, it was not the type with a seal.

Cosco had some 2 gallon buckets, gave me 3 free and put my name on a list for the 5 gallon.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just to add another source. Dunkin Donuts uses food grade buckets and they normally just throw them away. If you ask I'm sure they'll let you take them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
what is the best way to get oder out of a bucket?
i have some that i got from a fast food place that was for pickles.
good, but stinky.:D:

·
Squawker
145 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try. Sure, they might say no, but if you don't ask, the results are the same.

·
1,794 Posts
All of my buckets have been free from Dunkin' Doughnuts and I have been getting them from there for decades. I sometimes scratch my head in disbelief when someone posts that they PAY for buckets that aren't even food grade. Sure, they are used but a bead of silicone caulk around the lid will provide an even better seal than the original. If you are persistant, they are out there. I also got dozens of huge blue barrels from a winery and other containers from a Pepsi bottling plant. Bring out your inner dumpster diving personality and ask around.

·
1,794 Posts
Who and how do you ask for the buckets? I feel stupid going up to someone and asking for a bucket, any suggestions?
Buy some doughnuts and say "By the way ............. Got any old pails or buckets?". The barrels at the winery were blowing and rolling all over the place so I stopped in and offered to take them off their hands. The Pepsi plant gave me barrels just to get rid of me. Don't be afraid to ask. Others do all the time.

·
Scandinavian survivor
4,106 Posts
I got two buckets from local fast food resturants today. I assume they are food grade. Both have the recycle symbol, one with a "5" in it. That one is safe, I know but the other one has "PP"(for polypyren?). Is that a food grade bucket?

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
I've been getting them lately from Sams, the Wally World next door won't budge,they cite the new policy to return them to be used again. The bakery girls at Sams don't coorperate sometimes, but they suggested I ask a manager.With managers OK, I got 5 more just last night.
I peel the sticker off, then scrub them inside at out with dawn, then some lightly diluted bleach. The lids are more difficult to clean because of the little recesses everywhere, so I just toss them in the dishwasher (after removing the O-rings.)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts