Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently begun preparing my family's home and cabin for basic emergencies since none of them ever did anything of the sort. I am in the military and thus have the occasional opportunity to salvage gear that is being thrown away that is perfectly serviceable but that no one wants to deal with. Probably the best thing I have salvaged so far aside from clothing is first aid equipment.

Every Marine is issued an Individual First Aid Kit from the Combined Issue Facility when they get into the fleet, and often turn their CIF gear in before they leave the service or before they deploy (sometimes they are reissued gear overseas). When the IFAK is returned, they only need the pouch itself, all the water purification tablets, iodine solution, bandages, burn dressings and quick clot etc. can be pilfered by said Marine. I would assume the situation is similar in the other services, but it might not be.

Bottom line, if you have a friend or relative in the service, get him/her to hook you up. They can probably get you nice gloves and other **** too, because although their CIF gear is serialized, often Companies will throw away all sorts of nice **** they overbuy with their discretionary funds, and the waste is truly abhorrent. Might as well take advantage.

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
Yep, I was in charge of 1st aid kits in our building. If a box was opened it "had" to be replaced with an unopened one on next inspection. So, I was stuck with lots of band aids. In fact, with one office I had a "inspection" 1st aid kit and one that the girls could use without fear of getting gigged.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That is a phenomena commonly referred to as 'stealing'.

no way its just extremely long term borrowing. As my saying goes if no one misses it then it deserves a proper home in my pocket. JUST KIDDING but stuff like that i can see taking. The company will just replace it and thats that. I got lots of free stuff from my military buddies from pouches to med supplies.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Totally understand, Nordic Mist !
It's completely shameful how much stuff ends up discarded.
One of my neighbors is a medical supplies sales rep.
He says he's required to have a certain amount of stuff in stock, and before he knows it, they change the product list, somehow.. new packaging, whatever... ends up with alot of surplus.... soooooo...
He's been a SUPER supplier for things I've dared to ask for... just one being some SUPER latex-free gloves.
Will soon have a nice long talk with him about other things, for sure.
:upsidedown:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts