Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look for your local phone company when they are installing new fiber optic lines. New construction, upgrades, whatever. They have this line called Muletape that feels just like polyester rope. It's used to pull the new cable underground from point a to point b. After they use it once it's trash as far as the phone company is concerned and they just throw it out. It's marked 1800lb test and marked for distance every foot. I just snagged up one 580' section for free. The installer was happy to give it to me, one less thing he had to unload and throw out once his shift was done. Previously I've got other hanks, a couple 300' and a 600'. The installers have always been thrilled to unload this on whoever wants it. Usually they have a trash can full of it in the back of their trucks on an install.

Not something I'd bet my life on but very handy for most jobs that one needs a light rope for. It's flat, white and 5/8" wide. Price is right too. Here is a pic:

Found this link, here it is: Muletape

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Muletape stuff

ANY IDEA WHAT IT IS "PRELUBED" WITH? TOXIC OR NON-TOXIC, DOES IT HAVE A GREASY FEEL TO IT?:confused:

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Very good score. :thumb:

My brother did a contract hauling underground cable for our national Telco provider a while back. They used 1/2km lengths of 8mm nylon rope blown thru the pipes with air to haul the cables. The rules were that they could only use each length ONCE, so they gave it all away to the contractors! I have lots of that stuff. Good feeling to score like that isn't it?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ANY IDEA WHAT IT IS "PRELUBED" WITH? TOXIC OR NON-TOXIC, DOES IT HAVE A GREASY FEEL TO IT?:confused:
No idea what it's supposed to be prelubed with. Feels just like regular old polyester rope to me. All the guys I've seen working with it use their bare hands handling this. The Muletape does get a little bit dirty when they use it.

It is nice to score freebies such as this. Will make a dandy tanglefoot field at the retreat.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
Even if you were to purchase it, it works out to just a touch over 0.08/foot. Not a bad price for 1800lb test cord.

Of course, free is waaay better.

Cheers,
-Per.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I work at the phone company and everything he said is true. Muletape is GREAT stuff, I have a pile in my garage the size of a small couch :) Some of has a slick feel to it, but there is a lube the guys pour into the pipe on long pulls to reduce friction. Its very messy stuff, but you can hose it off and let it dry. If the guys are doing short pulls they dont use the lube, thats the good stuff. Also the OP said the muletape he has is rated at 1800lbs... The stuff we use is 2500lb... so its probably a little bigger, they make lots of different sizes. I have used this stuff to tow a small car and didnt have a problem. I also braided 3 pieces together and make a killer tow rope that I keep in my truck for emergencies. Like he said, we just throw this stuff away and will give it away to anyone that wants it, we only use it once..... So keep your eyes open, and just hit the guys up that are doing the cable pulling.... You might even discuss throwing down a six pack or something to sweeten the deal if they are contractors. Most company guys couldnt take beer, but contractactors can do lots more..... Good luck, its great stuff.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Most excellent! A related item is the stuff they use for regular cable, i.e., network stuff. Jet cord is a multi-strand, bright colored cord that's great for quick-and-dirty tie-ups or lashings.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Muletape is fantastic. Forgot all about it till I saw this post. I use to use it for harnesses and loops when doing some minor repelling. Not saying that you should use it, just that you could.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts