Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Born to prep
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked Lowes if i cleaned up the apple mess under their {5}trees if I could have the apples off the trees, there are 5 of them.

They agreed so started picking them to day, the good apples i will can the bad apples i will dump in the garden.

So fare only one employee about picking "their apples" She in formed me that they like to eat also.

Look around an see if you can find any apple trees that you can pick for the clean up.

Yellow jackets love apples, I pitched one out on to the parking lot that full of yellow jackets It had to have at least 50 in it. A good selling point is if you cleanup the apples on the ground and pick all of the apples off the trees they will not have the yellow jacket problems.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
See if there are any local gleaner groups nearby. They arrange picking leftover crops and in town trees and such. They vary, sharing produce with owner, charging a fee, volunteer hours.

·
Born to prep
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please let us know how you process / store these. Very interested :thumb:

Pics are good.
I can do that now.

The ones that are less then stellar are going to get the bad cut out and made into applesauce. When we make applesauce we use the whole apple methed. We put the apples in a stockpot and cook them down. when they are cooked we dip out the solideds and run them through a hand crank food mill. So we put up plain and some we add cinnamon imperials to the stock pot when we cook them down.

The rest will be pie filling and plain caned apples for making bread.

A lot of the apples are in totes and milk crates but I estimate at least 20 5 gal buckets full. I think we could have up to at least a 50% loss.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Please remember that apples will keep for a loooooong time if refrigerated properly. I worked at a farm that used a huge underground walk-in fridge to keep apples year round and they usually tasted fresh as just picked. I keep meaning to get a second fridge off of craigslist specifically for filling up at the end of the picking season.

Be very careful not to store your bruised or damaged apples with these ones though. For some more detailed information:

http://www.stilltasty.com/articles/view/62

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I asked Lowes if i cleaned up the apple mess under their {5}trees if I could have the apples off the trees, there are 5 of them.

They agreed so started picking them to day, the good apples i will can the bad apples i will dump in the garden.

So fare only one employee about picking "their apples" She in formed me that they like to eat also.

Look around an see if you can find any apple trees that you can pick for the clean up.

Yellow jackets love apples, I pitched one out on to the parking lot that full of yellow jackets It had to have at least 50 in it. A good selling point is if you cleanup the apples on the ground and pick all of the apples off the trees they will not have the yellow jacket problems.
I didn't know Lowes had apple trees, at least not mature ones. Maybe Lowes isn't the home improvement place I'm thinking of. (?)

·
Registered
6,646 Posts
I didn't know Lowes had apple trees, at least not mature ones. Maybe Lowes isn't the home improvement place I'm thinking of. (?)
Sounds like they were part of the landscaping.

Either they were there or they had extra one year and someone planted them. I have seen ones to plant available in their garden section.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,822 Posts
We have a lot of fruit trees in the neighborhood.

SHTF I can go bartering.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
I have done similar. A few years ago I asked a few people if I could have their apples. I got buckets and buckets and buckets of wormy drop apples for the chickens, and tons more for sauce and juice!

·
Born to prep
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Sounds like they were part of the landscaping.

Either they were there or they had extra one year and someone planted them. I have seen ones to plant available in their garden section.
I think they thought they were planting crabapples. They are planted with ornamental cherries.

·
Born to prep
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
30 pounds applesauce ready to can. 10 pounds with sugar, 10 ponds with cinnamon imperials and 10 pounds plain made from the sweeter apples.

Now all we have to do is get it back up to temp add the sugar and red hots and water bath can them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts