Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is an example. Ever seen the 35-pound plastic jugs-in-boxes that restaurants buy their cooking oil in? - I took one home from the local pub to see if it would make a good water jug. And I think it will. I had to clean it with Dawn to get all the old cooking oil out. The plastic jug itself is not very heavy gauge plastic, so you need to leave it in the box for strength. I took it out, cleaned it, put it back, filled it, stored it. It's a little over 5 gallons in capacity (I forgot to measure as I filled so I went by weight--whole thing, filled, was about 42 pounds).

Plastic is HDPE, code 2.

·
1,313 Posts
Good idea, let us know if the water stays good. I buy those from Sams with oil in it and have a few. Think I'll try that...love it when old dogs learn new tricks!

·
GrowingFromScratch.com
3,269 Posts
I'm kicking myself for not jumping on an opportunity to get 20+ empty 2.5 gallon jugs that had something drinkable stored in it, sodium bicarbonate I think. Until I get my blue water barrels, I have many milk jugs filled with water, and I know I'm on the clock with those before they leak. These free jugs would have been perfect.

·
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My experience with these jugs is they are thin plastic and tend to crack after about a years time. Hope you have better luck than me.
Argh... I shoulda known it was too good to be true. :) Is that in a temperature controlled environment? Mine will be in the basement and fairly temp stable, though still I don't want water all over the place...

·
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Temperature varies from upper thirties in winter to maybe eighty in August. I find the plastic in this case gets brittle in time. Jugs are thin plastic and really crack if cardboard box gets weak or torn up.
Thanks for the warning. I appreciate that.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,576 Posts
Temperature varies from upper thirties in winter to maybe eighty in August. I find the plastic in this case gets brittle in time. Jugs are thin plastic and really crack if cardboard box gets weak or torn up.
That's what worried me about it too. Like milk jugs, they're not designed for the long haul. But I figured sometimes we get lucky. Like soda bottles. They're not designed for long term either, but they last really well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts