Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
France to restart all nuclear reactors by winter amid energy crunch
Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Number

wow cray I honestly didn’t even know this much about energy production and usage in other countries. eg electricity is cut in east of country for 2 hours 7pm-9pm, and west of country 9pm-11pm. The building I work in has been trying to reduce energy usage to not be as harsh on the grid during the heat waves.
  • It is cold, dry, and not sunny, and not windy. Typically this is high pressure over the continent in the December-February period where due to the northerly latitude and winter short days, it gets colder and colder each day.
  • There is a shortage of nuclear due to a maintenance issue
  • a drought is lowering hydropower.
  • There is a gas shortage.
The more we prepare for an outage, the less likely it is to happen. I personally prefer a small power generator as it covers a broader range of scenarios. guess we will see what the winter brings.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
One thing about France. 85% of their electricity was produced with nuclear power. They began to shut some down and switched to some wind and solar power. By reactivating them, they will be able to sell some power to Germany and Spain. Germany is the one that will be hurt the most with gas cut off. About 23% of their power was from natural gas. 34% was from fuel oil, about 9% from nuclear power, with 13% from wind and solar. The rest was from coal or biomass. Germany was replacing coal with natural gas until they could get more wind and solar going. Some gas was used for residential and industrial. So they are buying as much liquid natural gas from the US as they can. Back in the 1970's and 1980's France built a whole bunch of nuclear power plants so they wouldn't be dependent on the Arabs for oil or coal. This was the best decision France has made in recent years.

·
Registered
544 Posts
The arrogance of Western Europe is going to catch up to them this winter.

I am curious what effect this will have with how Germany is going to handle their own energy deficiency.
Germany’s gas storage is 90% full and on track to get up to 95% before November, contrary to popular belief they are not going to freeze, they are just paying very high price for it.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Germany’s gas storage is 90% full and on track to get up to 95% before November, contrary to popular belief they are not going to freeze, they are just paying very high price for it.
You are correct, but the high prices mean that there will be plenty of people who will have to choose between heating their home and paying for other necessities.

·
Registered
None of your business.
3,727 Posts
We may laugh at France...but THEY are the ones doing the right thing, finally. What is OUR leadership doing that will actually help US citizens?
They know that if they don't, France, who is already on the fringes of a possible civil war within the next few decades, this could be the straw that breaks the camels back and speeds things up if nothing is done...

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
View attachment 467738

wow cray I honestly didn’t even know this much about energy production and usage in other countries. eg electricity is cut in east of country for 2 hours 7pm-9pm, and west of country 9pm-11pm. The building I work in has been trying to reduce energy usage to not be as harsh on the grid during the heat waves.
  • It is cold, dry, and not sunny, and not windy. Typically this is high pressure over the continent in the December-February period where due to the northerly latitude and winter short days, it gets colder and colder each day.
The more we prepare for an outage, the less likely it is to happen. I personally prefer a small power generator as it covers a broader range of scenarios. guess we will see what the winter brings.
MaX Rods,

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm still laughing from reading "Energy Sobriety" !

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
60,330 Posts
View attachment 467738

One of the few things their "woke" government is doing right. Kudos!

Reactions: SoJ_51

·
Registered
544 Posts
You are correct, but the high prices mean that there will be plenty of people who will have to choose between heating their home and paying for other necessities.
Germany have a bunch of social programs, their folks are not going to go hungry or cold this winter as long as they actually get the gas. If utility prices for the consumer get out of hand it’s very likely the gov will step in and subsidize consumer costs.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts