Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to start buying fractional portions of gold? With the current prices per ounce I can't afford it, but could buy $200 per pay check or so. Is there any type of price difference if I just save up to buy per ounce?

Not sure how long the USD will be the the global primary currency.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Is there any way to start buying fractional portions of gold? With the current prices per ounce I can't afford it, but could buy $200 per pay check or so. Is there any type of price difference if I just save up to buy per ounce?

You can buy fractional coins. Canadian and Austrian, probably some others. You can buy grams of gold. But if you buy ten 1/10 ounce coins, it’s going to cost more than one 1 ounce coin.

·
Storyteller
2,691 Posts
Gee, the 1/10 oz and 1/4 oz US gold coins disappeared a long time ago...

There are smaller coins, (Randss, francs) that you might be ablee to find...

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
You can buy fractional coins. Canadian and Austrian, probably some others. You can buy grams of gold. But if you buy ten 1/10 ounce coins, it’s going to cost more than one 1 ounce coin.
Probably some others…like US 1/10 ounce eagles. If you like your gold diluted.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts

You can buy fractional silver, too. Quarter ounce is the smallest I’ve seen. Same deal, though, more expensive than ounces.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone. First, I do not use credit cards. They are evil, I try to cash flow everything!

I will just work towards saving a couple of grand at a time and buy full ounces of gold. Again, thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Thanks everyone. First, I do not use credit cards. They are evil, I try to cash flow everything!

I will just work towards saving a couple of grand at a time and buy full ounces of gold. Again, thanks for the info!
I like silver better, because someday, it’ll be a lot easier to buy a chicken with an ounce of silver than with an ounce of gold.

·
Registered
955 Posts
joe, I think you have the idea. I have been tussling with this myself and have settled on an ounce of gold at a time minimum because otherwise you get clobbered with high premiums. Silver is tricky because the premiums are elevated, but I see them being stubbornly high. So I try it on dips, although I have a certain minumum amount I am trying to accumulate even if it doesn't dip.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Just checked the "In stock" section for gold on APMEX. Buying it by the gram is several hundred more per ounce, but the 5 and 10 gram bars came out to the same price as a full ounce. 1/4 oz coins were a bit higher.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I like silver better, because someday, it’ll be a lot easier to buy a chicken with an ounce of silver than with an ounce of gold.
Thats my thinking. I have a few one once gold coins and have no idea how you would buy a small amount of food or other stuff with a 1 oz gold coin. I do have silver. Many old Ben Franklin coins and I can't remember if they are .50 or dollar coins plus some of the designer coins that weigh several ounces each. And a bag of silver dimes. Plus several of the plastic 20 count boxes that have one dollar silver coins. My dad bought all this stuff and I inherited it. Sometimes I wish it were just cash instead.

When he bought the gold coins they were $300 each. Now they are worth somewhere around $1,800.00 last time I looked. But they haven't gone up in buying power. The buying power of cash has just about disappeared.

I forgot to add that when I used to listen to Dave Ramsey on the radio he never promoted gold or silver for an emergency back up plan. He stated commodities were a better option. He said you were better off with cans of corn or beans, something you could swap for a commodity that you could use. If the world collapses gold, silver and cash will be worthless.

No way I would trade you some of my food supplies for a gold coin. You want some of my supply of dried Pinto Beans? You better have some ammo, whiskey or flour to swap for it. I can't eat your silly gold or silver.

A few days ago the battle of Stalingrad was mentioned. Those people were down to about a slice of bread a day for their daily food ration. I promise you they would have traded you a handful of gold coins for a full loaf of bread. By comparison gold had no value at all.

·
I have control issues
6,248 Posts

Yes, you can purchase fractional gold. it comes in 1/10th oz, 1/4 ounce, 1/2 ounce, or full ounces. While you do pay a premium over spot, if you can't afford a full ounce at a time, fractionals work well for getting started buying gold.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Just checked the "In stock" section for gold on APMEX. Buying it by the gram is several hundred more per ounce, but the 5 and 10 gram bars came out to the same price as a full ounce. 1/4 oz coins were a bit higher.
1901 for a single Krand is the cheapest price for a 1 oz coin. 1/4oz eagles are 2520/oz, $619 per oz more.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts