Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen the Foxfire series of books? Not trying to advertise, however, they come form: www.foxfire.org.
To quote from their website:
"Foxfire" is the name of a series of books which are anthology collections of material from The Foxfire Magazine. The students' portrayal of the previously-dismissed culture of Southern Appalachia as a proud, self-sufficient people with simple beliefs, pure joy in living, and rock-solid faith shattered most of the world-at-large's misconceptions about these "hillbillies".
The books are also available on Amazon.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
If you're in the area of Rabin Gap Ga. you can go to the Foxfire museum, which is a collection of old timey buildings that have been donated to the Foxfire foundation. There are exhibits and displays and of course a gift shop. It's pretty inexpensive. Be prepared to hike and the place is uphill both ways. All Foxfire books are on sale in the gift shop. You can also find them at most of the gift shops on the Blue Ridge Parkway. That series of books is the end product of a series of high school projects.

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
If you're in the area of Rabin Gap Ga. you can go to the Foxfire museum, which is a collection of old timey buildings that have been donated to the Foxfire foundation. There are exhibits and displays and of course a gift shop. It's pretty inexpensive. Be prepared to hike and the place is uphill both ways. All Foxfire books are on sale in the gift shop. You can also find them at most of the gift shops on the Blue Ridge Parkway. That series of books is the end product of a series of high school projects.
My wife and I went up there in September, camped in the Chattahootchie and visited the museum. Been a fan of FoxFire for over 30 years. We were on my motorcycle and it was a great trip.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
Picked up "Foxfire 7" in Hiawassi, Ga. at the North Georgia Mountain Fair last week. I now have 1-7 and 11 & 12. I have 8, 9 & 10 on my Christmas wishlist.

Allan

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
I was at the book store yesterday and they had almost the whole set. Mine are old and dog eared from years of use. They ares a great source of information.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I was visiting with family in Queensland, Australia a few years back and my brother in law showed me some books he had which were outstanding.

They are written by a "bloke" called Ron Edwards and they cover all the Australian pioneer lore and such. IIRC they were called "Bushcraft"

Any Aussies on the board know if these are still available?

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Foxfire books have been documenting rural living in the Southern Appalachians since 1971. They originally started out as an English class project, whereby kids interviewed, studied, and wrote about the old ways of the hills. They appear to still be going strong and the books really give you a feel for that part of the world.

·
Getting Ready
30 Posts
New Today

I just bought the first of these books today. I have skimmed and can see that I will probably get a new one every week or so until i get them all. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
99 Posts
for those who use Ebay

The Foxfire series are very oftenly found on EBAY for those who use Ebay. I am watching the sale of the whole series now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts