Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Libertarian
397 Posts
junglecrawler
not exactly.
They are how people used to do things way back when.
You will need some of these (if not all) skills in a post SHTF nightmare world.
More than that though they are just great to read. Kind of puts our silly problems into context. The people in the books come through as great, humble and inspiring.
Just fantastic.
read and learn.

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
What are foxfire books? Are they survivalist manuals?
In a way, back in the '60's some journalism students went up into the Appaachian's and interviewed the old folks (80 yr. olds). They recorded their way of life and the way they produced what they needed to live. Any tool, building, plumbing etc, that they built was copied and diagramed. There is a Musuem in Rabun County Georgia where some of the cabins were re-assembled. Very good reading and alot of info should a person be forced to hit the bush.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Great set of books. My parents had them when I was much yonger and I spent hours reading them and duplicated many of the projects they had in them. Since then I have found two of the 6 books and bought them both and hope to locate the other 4. I definitely recommend them! There is a lot of "Spiritual Enrichment" in them!!!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
When you read the Foxfire series, you sometimes wish there was more exact instruction. But there's something else in them that is important. The old folks from those backwoods hollers (like the one I live in) are very independent minded. Some basically do not go to stores or very seldom. They tell of old ways and attitudes and of the simple blessings one finds in work and home. I've started buying them used and have the first four. Look for them used from bookstores. Oh, and foxfire is a phosphorecent(sp) fungus which grows on rotting logs.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Well , well .............How ironic we were talking about these great books at dinner on saterday night . On sunday I went to AMAZON and bought 1,2,3 ,,,,all first printings !!! for ....... 38 bucks with shipping !!!

You can find all the books there , new 12 bucks I think , used any where from 2.50 - 6 bucks , and Collectible ( which I like as ,, I like books :D: ) 10 -40 bucks ............shop around there . Took me a hour to find the deal .

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
This is a really good series and would recommend anyone getting them.

Not just for the survival info, but, as mentioned above, a real insight on how these folks view life.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you can get on original printing or I think up to the third printing, it shows how to make black powder in real terms. Not some chemistry majik ;)

However for whatever reason, that one has been dropped. I miss my foxfire collection.

·
FNG
106 Posts
If you can get on original printing or I think up to the third printing, it shows how to make black powder in real terms. Not some chemistry majik ;)

However for whatever reason, that one has been dropped. I miss my foxfire collection.
This is true. I have 1 -5 . My Grandfather gave them to me this year. The first three are the best imo.

·
Molōn Labe!
673 Posts
unfortunately, due to abuse, Librum has removed much of their original content. They used to have everything posted in straight pdf. Some is currently available, but they are pushing for the executable book formats, which really suck!! So i have to be running windows to view this book from the late 1800s?!? gah. Thankfully, i got all their content last year when they still had it posted for free usage. Apparently too many A-holes were posting their compilations on eBay and selling them for 10 bucks each. Now Librum sells their own collection compilations. Check them out if you are interested!

For my own part, i would recommend that you purchase hardcopy versions of the Foxfire series, but they are a bit scarce and not particularly cheap from the typical online sources. It seems many like minded people have been purchasing them up this past year. Surprise surprise.

·
Tough Chick
2,981 Posts
Oh wow! Foxfire books. My parents used to read to us out of those when we were kids, especially on camping trips and around the campfire. I remember getting all excited when the Foxfire book would come out. Thanks for the flashback from the past!

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I had the entire set years ago, but were lost somewhere during a move. So far I've managed to replace 1 through 5. They're easy to find, I just can't afford to buy them all at once.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.