Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
34,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was walking my dogs the other day in a field and I just happen to see just the end of this poking out of the ground. I've always wanted to find one and there it was. It looks like a piece of flint.

·
striving for perfection
113 Posts
My family has found many indian arrowheads on the family farm. When we were kids we would walk behind the tractors as they tilled the soil. Over the years we have found about 50 arrowheads, spearheads, and one hatchet head.
I don't know if they are worth anything but they sure are fun to find.
None of them have been sold, and my dad still has the entire collection

I do not have any pictures of them.

·
Registered
34,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks more like a scraper or maybe a knife blade,unless the guy that made it really sucks at making arrowheads. I think they all come from china now.
I wouldn't be surprised that China would make them.

This would was found where they were digging a pond, it's hard to say how deep it was before I found it...maybe 6-9 inches

·
Registered
34,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My family has found many indian arrowheads on the family farm. When we were kids we would walk behind the tractors as they tilled the soil. Over the years we have found about 50 arrowheads, spearheads, and one hatchet head.
I don't know if they are worth anything but they sure are fun to find.
None of them have been sold, and my dad still has the entire collection

I do not have any pictures of them.
I've heard thats how you find them (walking behind a tractor) when plowing.

I have always wanted to find one but never had the luck or good eyes

·
American fearmaker
14,248 Posts
That is a scraper, not an arrowhead. They used those to clean off the inside skin of dead animals so they could wear them. The best way to find arrowheads is to use new technology to your advantage. I have a buddy who has a thermal imaging camera system. He goes out at night, just after the sun has set and uses the camera to detect the difference in the heat between the ground and the arrowheads. He's found all sorts of arrowheads a little after sunset. Some of the local museums are in love with the guy because the museums love getting this stuff.

·
Registered
34,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is a scraper, not an arrowhead. They used those to clean off the inside skin of dead animals so they could wear them. The best way to find arrowheads is to use new technology to your advantage. I have a buddy who has a thermal imaging camera system. He goes out at night, just after the sun has set and uses the camera to detect the difference in the heat between the ground and the arrowheads. He's found all sorts of arrowheads a little after sunset. Some of the local museums are in love with the guy because the museums love getting this stuff.
okay, that makes sense. It fits into my hand perfectly if I were to scape something.

thanks

·
Registered
34,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree on the scraper tool theory....its not an arrowhead.

But interesting find.......you should look again in the area you found it maybe theres more
thought the same thing, as of yet I haven't had any luck. It's close to a creek so many their was a camp of some type in that area.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,677 Posts
Reactions: OhioMan

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
There is an indication that there was noching for attaching to something.

Had to tell by not seeing it from above on edge. It looks like it has a bow to it.

I do not think it is wide enough for a scraper and it also seems to be flaked to have an edge on top and bottom. a scrapper would have only one side with an edge and the other side more flat to fit the hand.

It does have the view of a knife blade to me.

It could have been a point for a spear.

I do not think it was an arrow head, however, it could alos have been a point for a DART used it or with an atalata.

Interesting find. More pix would help, but in the end who is to know fo sure. All we do is look, analizye and guess.

It could have been a cog for a stone clock.

later
wayne

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I love people who think, great idea here. thanks for sharing.

later
wayne

·
Registered
34,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is an indication that there was noching for attaching to something.

Had to tell by not seeing it from above on edge. It looks like it has a bow to it.

I do not think it is wide enough for a scraper and it also seems to be flaked to have an edge on top and bottom. a scrapper would have only one side with an edge and the other side more flat to fit the hand.

It does have the view of a knife blade to me.

It could have been a point for a spear.

I do not think it was an arrow head, however, it could alos have been a point for a DART used it or with an atalata.

Interesting find. More pix would help, but in the end who is to know fo sure. All we do is look, analizye and guess.

It could have been a cog for a stone clock.

later
wayne

Wayne...I'll snap a few in different angles

·
Banned
7,205 Posts
i know everyones already said it but i practically but off my tounge trying to tell you through the screen as soon as i saw it.. I was like That is no arrow head!! loll.

Your lucky you found this, compared to an arrowhead i would say they are a little more rare.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
If it is from a dart it would be one in seveal million found items. If it is a knife and has snapped at the handle it would be very interesting. Lets face it, arrowheads are a dime a dozen.

If you could get a pic (close up) of the area that might be the base, on the side showing the area that appears to be a notch it would be most helpful.

The top area appears to be straight and inline with the point wher as the bottom curves up and leads one to assume a narrow tine for latching to something, handle or shaft.

later
wayne

·
Spooky
1,698 Posts
I don't know if they are worth anything but they sure are fun to find....
I haven't checked Ebay or anything, but I'd guess that Indian arrowheads really aren't worth anything money-wise.

I've found Civil War bullets and 100 year old bottles in my foraging and discovered they weren't worth anything either. Their only real value is that they're cool and that you found them.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
so it does have a double edge, I would say it is not a scraper.

I now can se that the area I though was a notch is not, it appears to be a flake off of a rounded butt.

hard to say, I still DO NOT think it is an arrow head. I am more inclined to think it is a point off a dart or spear.

It appears to be in rather good shape.

Congrats to you on what ever it is.

Would recomend you take pix of where it was found (if found legal) and also a short write up of as much as you know about it.

Never now who in your family might benifit from it after you are gone.

later
wayne

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.