Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week or so ago some lady posted about finding modest dresses and about all we could recommend were patterns. Today I visited an Amish country store in Nolensville, TN, and found ready-made solid color, long-sleeve dresses for sale. Most were $24.99 and some came with an apron. They looked completely traditional Amish; the colors were beautiful--bright pink, purple, deep blue. There were also a few bonnets and children's clothes.

There are also some internet sites that sell modest clothing. Some are made by Amish women and others by Protestants who teach modesty. On some of the sites you can choose the material you want.

Happy hunting, everyone!:thumb:

·
Potential Roux-Ga-Roux
1,439 Posts
Nice! :) Any chance that the shop you were at would do internet sales?

·
Registered
517 Posts
This is a great thread! I am a SAHM/ seamstress, and I am looking for new ideas to expand my business. Thanks for the great ideas!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know this thread is old but what is the name of the store you visited in TN? I have been looking for modest dresses...Amish or Mennonite.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Thanks for bumping this thread, tnladywolfe. I missed it the first go-round.

It *might* be the Nolansville Feed Mill. If it is, here's their website:

http://www.nolensvillefeedmill.com/

Question: These dresses, are they the truly traditional? As in, no buttons, hooks or zippers or "modified" for the modern wearer? I only ask because my first encounter with the Amish in Pennsylvania Dutch Country was...difficult from a linguistic point of view. They spoke stilted English and I spoke Hillbilly.

I noticed the unmarried young ladies were "pinned" into their clothes.

Reactions: AbsolutWoman

·
Indefatigable
21,089 Posts
This is a great thread! I am a SAHM/ seamstress, and I am looking for new ideas to expand my business. Thanks for the great ideas!
I am a SAHW/seamstress. I wear salwar/kameeze at home not sweats or jeans. I started wearing them shopping in the Arabic/Indian mkts and ladies came to me wanting to know where to find them :thumb:
I mostly make/repair Native America Regalia and do small upholstery jobs and drapes. But sewing for the Indian and Muslim ladies, is picking up. The outfits are so simple, the don't take much time, which increases my profit. I also make my dog outfits and then take her to the pet store. I've gotten orders that way too.
One of my customers just came back from a visit to India, she brought a whole suitcase full of fabrics to be sewn up AND 6 yds of a beautiful teal green silk for me :)

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
I also love salwar kameez - comfortable, feminine, and usually modest, although you can sexy up just about anything if you try. :)

Reactions: Jojo

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Also I don't think real Amish women would be caught dead in a bright pink dress!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would make an Amish dress if I knew how to sew clothes. I can sew a quilt all day long but when it comes to making clothes I haven't got a clue.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
You want Amish dresses...my Mom has tons of them lol...its her everyday wear...my parents are Plain :)

My daughter and son both have Amish wear as they go to Ohio with my parents every year...I was raised Amish/Mennonite but because my parents were the only ones in this area I am kinda normal :p
I knew I loved you!!!!!!!! Would your Mom adopt me? Other than computer ( and online ordering), I mostly live the life<smile>. Now.....the TOUGH question...how are Amish clothes fastened? I taught 18th C domestic skills and those clothes are tied on basically.

Liebrecht

1 - 16 of 16 Posts