Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was searching the Internet (for BOL tips and such) and I came upon a site (http://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm) that allows you to find the circular distance around a point- this could prove pretty useful for people trying to find good areas to set up a BOL.

Anyway, the main question I had for this is: about what percentage of people, at any given time, have more than half of a tank of gas in their cars? Sources I've checked show the number to be pretty low, but I find the question important for BOL planning.

For example, let's say there was some sort of TEOTWAWKI or SHTF incident right now. About what percentage of people would have more than half a tank of gas on them (i.e.- they just filled up not too long ago)?

Also, if we were to look at this differently- say, there was a slow slide into the SHTF event where the incident didn't happen all at once, but it took several days or weeks for the situation to truly decay, would that effect the number of people who had more than a half tank of gas, or would the number still remain about the same as if there was no warning?

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
The problem with what if scenarios is that you can drive yourself crazy with all the different variations. The only constant is that you do what you can to be prepared. This means you have to be resourceful and flexible. Ok, so you've got a full tank of gas. What if your car is wrecked by flood, tornado, earthquake or drunk in a bigger car? What if it's stolen? What if an EMP knocks it out of commission. What if gas shortages occur several weeks before it's time to bug out and you haven't been able to just go buy some when you need it? While having some extra gas around is never a bad thing, it may not help.

Just as important might be to make sure you're in shape so you can walk or ride a bicycle to your BOL.

Or it might be to head to your BOL now, and learn to live more self sufficiently before it becomes a strict necessity.

It might also be time to look at a more conclusive plan for bugging in. It may be Plan B, but you should be ready for that too.

Surviving is about flexibility and finding solutions to problems. Stockpiling is only one solution, and not the only one. We have no idea what the future will bring, and thinking in absolutes is limiting.

Az

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ I was referring to cars driven by refugees/looters. For example, if many people have a full tank instead of a half tank, it would make sense to have your BOL further from cities.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts