Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Land of the free my....
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went kayaking today. It is a 2 man kayak so I took my 6 y/o son with me, and it was a blast. Felt like a great upper body workout and being outdoors surrounded by nature was great. We paddled up to a bunch of branches sticking out of the water and saw a large snake stretched out on one of the bigger branches. We also a variety birds, turtles, etc..... for me, the best part was how quiet it was just paddling along.

I guess my point is that it was a great way to get some exercise and be out doors at the same time.

Craig

·
Prep and be calm
464 Posts
I took my sons kayaking all their growing up years. It is a great way to get out. I like the open top kayaks better than the skirted ones -- especially with children. As long as they swim they just fall out of the open top ones and get back in. The skirted ones they have to remember how to get out of them if they roll.

·
Land of the free my....
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The one we were in was an open top. Since it was our first time out we stayed close to the shore. I was told about a place close by to put into a river so I'll see about doing that this maybe this week. I just need to have my wife meet us down stream somewhere. Looking forward to the next time we are out.

Craig

·
Prep and be calm
464 Posts
I was SO proud of my self recently -- I am 60 -- female -- and my neice and two sons wanted to go on a rather arduous 6 hour kayak trip for the college graduation celebration of the youngest son. And I kept up with them! At the very last, going against the tide and wind (an estuary off the Pacific coast) we all were completely worn out and my oldest son gave me a tow so I could rest. So I didn't QUITE keep up but mostly. It is fun to see the result of years of out doors activity with my children and see them now turning it around.

Do as much as you can with you kids -- they will remember it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.