Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had very high winds lately and all kinds of stuff is blowing around (including our gas grill, which blew right over despite the fact that it weighs about 85 pounds without the propane). As I drove along the river road, I spotted a blue 55-gallon plastic barrel in the ditch. It musta fallen off a truck or something. I took a chance and picked it up. Looks like it held some kind of sudsy water. Still has the bulkhead fittings (I think that's what you call them) on the top. :)

Okay, now, am I brave enough to actually use it?

I thought maybe rinse it really good and then use it to water the garden for a season or so?

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
We have had very high winds lately and all kinds of stuff is blowing around (including our gas grill, which blew right over despite the fact that it weighs about 85 pounds without the propane). As I drove along the river road, I spotted a blue 55-gallon plastic barrel in the ditch. It musta fallen off a truck or something. I took a chance and picked it up. Looks like it held some kind of sudsy water. Still has the bulkhead fittings (I think that's what you call them) on the top. :)

Okay, now, am I brave enough to actually use it?

I thought maybe rinse it really good and then use it to water the garden for a season or so?
I would not use it for drinking water as you have no way to know what it was originaly used for

could have been for insectacide for all you know id keep it and use it for other non food type storage

Reactions: Allamakee County

·
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would not use it for drinking water as you have no way to know what it was originaly used for

could have been for insectacide for all you know id keep it and use it for other non food type storage
Yeah... I figured I'd have to listen to the voice of reason here. :)

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Yeah... I figured I'd have to listen to the voice of reason here. :)
there are plenty of things its still useful for does it have the kind of top with the band clamp to hold it on or is it the kind with a fused end and a small hole

·
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there are plenty of things its still useful for does it have the kind of top with the band clamp to hold it on or is it the kind with a fused end and a small hole
Fused end and 2 holes, actually, 3-4 inches across, threaded.

*went back and looked* The holes are just about 2 inches, not 3-4.

·
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm id say use it as a rain barrel for the garden
Yeah, that was what I originally thought. Either that or hubby will whack it in half to plant potatoes in.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Yeah, that was what I originally thought. Either that or hubby will whack it in half to plant potatoes in.
you could also use it like one of those barrel composters if you put a door on one end and made it to where you could roll it

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
hmm id say use it as a rain barrel for the garden
+ 1 on this advice

I have a similarly suspect one that I cam across a few years back that serves to feed the garden. drill a hole in the bottom of it and install a spigot.

Spigot (water hose connection, not sure if that is an Appalachian word or not)??

May test it by putting water in it, let it sit for a while, then watter some test plants with it. This all after it has been cleaned a bit. If they thrive then chances are you are good to go.

·
Shootist
60 Posts
Just be careful and flush it out really well with fresh water. Make sure to use eye protection and rubber gloves also. The blue barrels I use at work are full of sulfuric acid. Nasty stuff.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I third the rain barrel for watering your garden suggestion.

Depending on "what" was in the drum, you could make a slow sand water filter. But without knowing exactly what was in it, I would not drink out of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts