Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Jesus Is Lord!
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have recently began an exercise program where you drink a fortified whey powder drink after exercising. I'm currently using something called Super Advanced Whey Protein manufactured by Body Fortress. The stressed muscles are fed the nutrients which helps them to heal and encourages even more muscle growth without steroids. It's very high protein and contains many amino acids for muscle development. Not recommended for people with kidney troubles due to the high protein count (26 grams of protein per roughly 1/4 cup scoop also 140 calories).

Noticing the healthful ingredients on the tub's side, was wondering if this would make a good survival food. I don't know the shelf life of this form of fortified and flavored whey powder and was wondering if anyone else did. At nearly $20 for a gallon's worth, it would be a good investment in securing as many canisters as possible when disaster strikes and you can't hunt or fish.

Anybody else use this product or a similar one? Is it worth buying in bulk and storing for at least a couple of years before it's worthless?

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Not hard at all. Just google it and search around. We didnt have the internet when we started but I have looked and the info is real easy to get. And Its kinda cheap and you get to make the things the flavors you want.

·
Research, Learn, Share
819 Posts
It's part of my preps. I have unflavored natural whey powder that I can add to just about anything to boost the protein in a meal. I'm not bothering with the flavored because most of them have an artificial sweetener and I don't use that stuff. But the plain can be added to juices or anything, pretty much.

·
Believe in Yourself
4,495 Posts
I'd be careful loading on protein powder.
If it gives you bad gas, headache or you notice an increase in joint point, your body is not processing it.
If it does, back off and or switch to another form like rice,pea,hemp,egg as they are a whole lot easier to digest for some.

·
Jesus Is Lord!
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since taking the whey powder, the muscular pain from exercising has stopped and I'm not as stiff in the morning when I rise. I use one scoop in a cup of 2% milk immediately after exercising as recommended and one late in the afternoon as a snack because I do my slower stretching type exercises in the evening. Haven't noticed any ill effects, but it hasn't had time to build up in my system yet. Noticed it kills my appetite for hours, too, so I'm not late night eating anymore. Must be the high protein content.

The joint pain is probably similar to gout. Purin crystals from meat build up in the body's joints instead of being washed out through the kidneys. Gout is a sign the kidneys are being overloaded or are weakening with age and can't remove the extra purins. When I eat too much bacon for too long, I get very painful gout symptoms in my hands and hip joints. Hence, I rarely eat bacon or any pork product as much as I use to. I'm watching for side effects and if I start getting joint pain similar to gout, the possum in the attic gets the remainder of the whey powder.

·
Believe in Yourself
4,495 Posts
Since taking the whey powder, the muscular pain from exercising has stopped and I'm not as stiff in the morning when I rise. I use one scoop in a cup of 2% milk immediately after exercising as recommended and one late in the afternoon as a snack because I do my slower stretching type exercises in the evening. Haven't noticed any ill effects, but it hasn't had time to build up in my system yet. Noticed it kills my appetite for hours, too, so I'm not late night eating anymore. Must be the high protein content.

The joint pain is probably similar to gout. Purin crystals from meat build up in the body's joints instead of being washed out through the kidneys. Gout is a sign the kidneys are being overloaded or are weakening with age and can't remove the extra purins. When I eat too much bacon for too long, I get very painful gout symptoms in my hands and hip joints. Hence, I rarely eat bacon or any pork product as much as I use to. I'm watching for side effects and if I start getting joint pain similar to gout, the possum in the attic gets the remainder of the whey powder.
A tea of half/half burdock/saflower 4-5 cups /day will kick the gout if you have a flare up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts