Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 80,000 people were evacuated from a wild fire threatening the city of Fort McMurray in Alberta. Some very scary pics on twitter #ymmfire

Fire was near the city yesterday, but turned ferocious today. Crossed the Athabasca River which is a serious size firebreak.

Survival learnings seem the same as usual: have gas in your car (big lineups) and get our early. Fort Mc only has one road going north and south - the rest is impassable boreal forest. Traffic jams are something you want to avoid with a 10 story forest fire next to the highway.

·
Grevcon 10
13,772 Posts

The fire has since jumped the highway and started burning homes that were 'shelter in place' at noon today.

There might not be a Fort McMurray after this. It's practically cut off the escape route too. Hopefully we don't have too many people get encircled. When's the last time a city of 61k burnt completely to the ground?

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,881 Posts
I wonder if the tar sands are burning or just trees?

From what I have read about the terrain up there, you can't go offroad without your vehicle sinking into the muskeg and disappearing unless the ground is frozen. Hope they can all get out safe.

21,428 Posts
Incredible... did you watch the vid with the traffic backup on it? Seriously? I guess EVERYONE there decided to wait until the last minute to try to save their family. Idiots...

NGH
It catches people out the speed in which a fire can move. We have been caught a couple of times like that with 173 dead. In 2009

That was mostly due to a crap plan. The lessons were go early don't argue. And have one clear instruction.

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/th...earn-after-black-saturday-20140206-324g7.html

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Incredible... did you watch the vid with the traffic backup on it? Seriously? I guess EVERYONE there decided to wait until the last minute to try to save their family. Idiots...

NGH
The fire turned direction from the way it had been travelling, and then jumped the river...this was totally against all logic until that time. The people facing evac orders left when directed to do so; the others left as soon as they saw the danger. They weren't idiots, and they didn't wait until the last minute...

Many people from the area of the country where I live have had to travel to Alberta for work, and many in my town have loved ones there. Firefighters from all over the country are travelling there to help. Thank you for you concern. :(

·
Super Moderator
20,670 Posts
My brother and his family live in Ft McMurray. They've been evacuated. Still waiting to hear his horror stories. I always thought this "prepping" thing was kinda goofy. Not anymore. I think I just became a prepper.
I hope he is OK. (as well as the rest of the people that had to evacuate)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Well the liberals certainly don't miss an opportunity to take advantage of a good disaster, this is a good one to share with friends and relatives who don't believe in being prepared for anything.

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
There's the stereotypical American ******* prepper in hurricane country also, who thinks he can board up his windows, lay sandbags and withstand anything.

But fires are even less predictable than weather, and take a look at Google Maps. They have basically one modest highway leading out of there. And going north doesn't look like a sensible option -- the highway ends that way.

Looks like maybe half of fires are human-caused (http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/lack...caused-fort-mcmurray-fire-professor-1.2887946) and they've been having high winds. I wonder if there's any sort of forestry practice to blame here. In Minnesota, an infamous fire in 1894 burned almost a quarter million acres, produces firestorms and consumed the entire town of Hinckley. That's been blamed on dry weather, but also the common logging practice of leaving slash or scrap branches scattered around.

NGH

·
Time to melt snowflakes!
30,160 Posts
There's the stereotypical American ******* prepper in hurricane country also, who thinks he can board up his windows, lay sandbags and withstand anything.
This is what pre-planning and preparing are for. If a forest fire was in the region and one had no PRESSING need, why not at least put some distance between yourself and the natural disaster?

When I lived in hurricane country, I kept an eye out for tropical storms. If the storms hinted at turning our way, I sent my wife & children to the parents to be safe. I had to stay behind, but I at least got them to a safer location.

·
Registered
135 Posts
This is my hometown

Hi all,

This is my home town. While I no longer live there, I know many who do.

The town is use to fires. It is in the middle of a forest with nothing else for 120 miles to the south and much further in other directions. There is one road in and that's it.

We thought the town would burn many times when I was younger. The 1995 fire was extremely concerning. It cut the town off for a week. Going off road is almost impossible. Even the ditches are largely muskeg. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muskeg

The area were the fire started is a series of very steep, very thickly forested 300' canyons. There is no good way to access with fire fighting equipment. Even on foot it is very hard. I used to play in those canyons as a child and go to bush parties in them as a teenager. I never though a fire could jump the river. The rivers is likely over 400 meters wide were it jumped.

Currently the news says 1600 structures have burned. It will be many more before this stops.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...rray-neighbourhoods-as-city-continues-to-burn

I just hope they save the bridges and the water treatment plant. If they don't, rebuilding will be extremely difficult.

Edit. All the preps in to world can't do much to help you in this situation. Gas and a go bag help some, but much more then that will get wasted int he fire.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts