Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets say that you have to leave your home for an extended period of time - what items do you think you might overlook?

Some of the stuff that you would bring is pretty obvious - food, water, clothes, medicine, first aid supplies, sleeping bags, pillows, seeds, can opener, water filters,,,,,,.

Some things are not so obvious - family pictures, letters, bible, books, playing cards and board games,,,.

Family pictures - if there is one thing that can not be replaced, its family pictures. Your kids will never be young again, your grandparents will never come back from the grave.

Letters - any hand written letters that retain you family history. Maybe even printed emails from friends and family members.

Bible or any other religious book - for spiritual support.

Books - for education and preservation of knowledge. College grammar books are a good option, as they contain works from a wide variety of authors. Regardless of the situation, the education of children must continue.

Playing cards and board games - helps keep the mind busy and acts as a distraction.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
i would say that family picures are all digitalised ( even the black a white ones)
i carry also my papers and some importent documents in digital copys ( on a miniSD card fits easaly on my keychain with the wistle, the can opener ( p38 ) and that swiss knife ( multiple blades there and stuff )
but yes id probably overlook plenty of stuff most likely it would pop out when im 100miles away on the road to safety .... like usual .

edit :
how about music instruments, pencil and papers other non essantials things .

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,272 Posts
Important paperwork, house deed, insurance and mortgage papers, vehicle titles, birth certificates, bank paperwork, etc. Those seem to be easily overlooked.

·
Survive... for what?
1,413 Posts
My photos that are on my Computer. I just kind of assume that the computer will aways work and always be there so I havent gotten around to saving the pics on a backup disk... Which I will be doing tomorrow thanks to this post :thumb:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Clothing items that could save my life. There have been times when a pair of thermals saved my life. I'd hate to forget where I put them if I had to get out in a hurry. Same with rain gear. God only knows what I'd do if I got caught without it.

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wills are often not included on peoples list. If you want your property handed down to the people you want it to go to, a will is critical.

If you have a will, make sure that its notarized - or signed by a witness at the same time you sign it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Very good post Kev. For this reason, I have some irreplaceable photos and my grandma's bible in my BOB. Not the most practical, but I don't care. It's in my first bag to go, for any reason.

I also backup ALL my photos in many different places. I have hard copies of my favorites, even the ones on my walls, in case I needed to evacuate in a hurry and not ever come back. I even copied my diplomas and degrees and such. I have them on thumb drives, on a couple external hard drives, some on the internet (Mozy, and also a web-based site), on DVDs/CDs, etc. Obviously depending on the event I may not be able to access them ever again, but, that's why I do so many different formats. I've also put a little photo album in each family members bags, in case we're separated they have it to show people, and for themselves as a comfort item. But I'm a sentimental person, and I LOVE my photos. LOL

A lot of Katrina victims said that the things they missed the most were their lost photographs and sentimental items (bibles and such). Another item most people who were relocated during Katrina said they missed were educational and work type documents. I.e., some people knew they could never go back home, and it took forever to get back into school or work in their new area, due to not having the correct documents and resumes, etc.

If I have the time, I also have a rifle I'd take with me if I knew I could never come back. It was my great-great-great Grandfather's rifle. It's beautiful and still works perfectly, thanks to good care. One day I'd like my son to have it.

Thanks for the reminder, Kev. I think these things are overlooked by a lot of folks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts