Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have a BS in Forest Management or Forestry? I am thinking of going this route and wondered if anyone on here could shed some light on this profession... Any input is greatly appreciated!

By the way... GREAT SITE!! I have been an avid camping/backpacking/hunter/survivalist for 6 years now and can't seem to get enough.

·
Registered
510 Posts
No, I can't. But I can say I wish I would have done this. I have a Bachelor's in CJ and wish I would have went Forestry. I just love the outdoors and forests. Plus, a degree is a degree for some jobs.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
My buddy does. He also has a biology twist in there though. He spends his days walking through the woods counting trees. Best job in the world.

·
*** Bless America
480 Posts
Do it man! My community college offers a degree in that and I have buddies pursuing it, and the stuff they do is so cool. 50% class work, 50% in the field, hands-on stuff. I took a fire ecology class for a what-the-heck class and it was awesome. Its probably bigger out here (front range, colorado, rocky mtns.) than some places, but its some way cool stuff. People getting paid obscene amounts to live in Rocky Mountain National Park room and board taken care of for the summer and monitor frogs? Deal! Count me in.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Again, try to get as much science in there as possible. That is what will give you a solid future and past the frog and tree counting during the summers that you will do when you are younger.

·
To the Liberty Tree!
1,312 Posts
My husband did but instead of going into forestry he went into arboriculture. He spent a couple years as a grunt hauling brush, then he got the foreman position and was up in the trees doing the cutting. He is now a consulting arborist and spends all day on people's property telling them what their trees need and giving quotes. Fantastic cash if your good with sales!

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
Are you good in math?
Most degrees in forestry are heavy in the math sciences.
Statistics was fun, but others were pure drugery.
Back when I got my BS, the computer we used to run Fortran programs were card readers. We used to joke that we killed more trees burning through stacks of cards and the huge paper print outs that there would be no trees left!:D:
The job market was tight in 76 when I graduated,.....I'm sure it still is.
The only employment I could get was with Shell Oil, running transit surveys in west Texas. That led to a Permit Agent job, and so on, and so on.
Like Whiterook said, a degree is a degree. Others may have more potenial for employment, but few could be as interesting.:thumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys!

I'm not too worried about the math.. The only math that is required is Calculus for Management and Social Science and an intro to statistics class.. A general chemistry class and biology is also required.. Then the rest is mostly environmental policy, forest surveying, soil science etc etc....

I am 25 now and have been doing Land Surveying for a couple of years but it's not what i want to do the rest of my life. I will continue to be a surveyor while going to school, that way I have that to fall back on if need be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts