Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Survivalists,

I thought I would share all of the inexpensive ways that I have picked up on foreign words and phrases, which may come in handy for both Survivalist situations and as a full-time money-making endeavor as a translator or interpreter:

Meta-Business: Free-to-You and Cheap Ways to Learn A Foreign Language!
http://unboundendeavors.blogspot.com/2009/08/meta-business-free-to-you-and-cheap.html

At the end, there is also a article linked on why Shortwave/World Band Radio is the best source of information in the midst of disasters. Enjoy!

·
Registered
94 Posts
also a otherone is: www.Livemocha.com
my wife uses this one to learn German, i to freshen up and improve my french. As far i see pretty good, easy step systems for learning the basics of a languages and also connecting you with people(nativs) who will help you learn.

Not so good if you dont wanna learn arabic, thai, chinise, korean and others where the writing is really diffrent(does not explain the basics of the writingsystems), for those languages are maybe better options

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for the links. I really need to learn some Spanish. We have a lot of "migrant farm workers" in our area in the summer months. Without going into too many details, there have been a few times when I would have really liked to have been able to understand some conversations.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for the links. I really need to learn some Spanish. We have a lot of "migrant farm workers" in our area in the summer months. Without going into too many details, there have been a few times when I would have really liked to have been able to understand some conversations.
If you need help, my wife is a nativ and i am quite fluent
cuidate

·
Scruffy-Looking
160 Posts
I had an older Russian gentleman drive up to me today as I was walking to my car (in the office parking lot). He was obviously confused and/or lost and needing some help. Sadly, he spoke virtually no English, so we had a lot of trouble communicating. He tried for 2-3 minutes to tell me something, but I just couldn't figure it out. I had to send him on his way eventually (with no help).

This all got me thinking...

In the grand scheme of things pertaining to prepping, I don't know how important learning other languages is, but it seems to me that at least knowing some basic phrases/terms in a couple other languages would be wise (a lot of folks probably already do). Since I live in CA, knowing a touch of Spanish would make sense for me... and maybe working on German again would be beneficial (took 2 years way back in HS).

·
Jihaadi GoBOOM
5,365 Posts
Check your library, language instruction, free . I copied all the language cd's I could find, it was how I first learned Spanish. Played em in the car on the way to Mexico, even. Get the ones that don't need a book, like pimsleur etc.

·
Beyond the grid!
698 Posts
I need a formal class, I learn best that way, then adding that knowledge to real world conversations. DOD Russian & Greek, which I've almost totally lost in the intervening 31 years.
Normally I can parse non-technical French & Spanish if given a large enough sample to work with. Apparently I have a mental block using that knowledge at conversational speeds. And occasionally I surprise myself by substituting the correct word in the wrong lingo.
A Spanish class couldn't hurt, although I doubt ever having a need for French here.
Thanks for the links.

·
Registered
34 Posts
While it's not ideal for speaking/pronunciation purposes, I found this website great for learning grammar and vocabulary. Not all the content is free but they have lots of free quizzes and drills. And it's not that expensive if you can devote a couple of months to really studying:

http://www.studyspanish.com/

If you have an iPad, the free app Brainscape has amazing Spanish flashcards that help with pronunciation, vocabulary, etc. One of the best apps there is.

·
Protector
591 Posts
checkout Rocket Spanish. cheap, comprehensive and hands down the easiest way to learn spanish i've seen.then practice on every hispanic you see. :thumb:

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
I found You Tube was great for all sorts of languages. I then found good radio stations on the world wide radio just to listen to. Theres a lot on the internet free.

·
Military MOM
4,766 Posts
I have an app for that! 278 languages and you can speak into it and translate each way. I carry it with me because I'm in America and I'm not learning another damn language! If I go to another country where they don't speak English, I will take my husband or learn their language

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
tn Dave, cheap and easy, if you get the "spanish channel" on tv, watch the soaps and listen to the radio on the spanish channels. you will soon start to think and speak in Spanish naturally. small children learn by immersion and have a large vocabulary by the time they begin to speak. use your natural tendencies toward processing unknown sounds. It is how we all learn to speak.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts