Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Survival Nerd
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone considered the Ford Transit Connect as a BOV? Its marketed as a fuel efficient commercial vehicle. I think of it as a compact van. They are highly configurable, can come with a shelving system and an interior space that you can "almost" stand up in.

I'm considering picking up one of these off the used market and modifying it for use as our BOV. Our primary considerations are:
  • Great storage for the size (65.1 cu. ft.)
  • Extremely fuel effcient (21 City / 26 Highway)
  • Reasonably priced
  • Inconspicuous

We also have a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, which is our currently planned BOV and likely to remain so, but the mileage isn't that great on it and the storage is limited without resorting to putting stuff on the roof. I think the trade off between endurance and storage may outweigh the off-road capabilities of the Jeep.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have one. It's a great little vehicle. Gets the gas mileage they claim and has an amazing amount of room. I think it'll be a fine little BOV. It's not all terrain by any means, but it'll get me where I need to go just fine and I can get there on one tank of gas.

·
Survival Nerd
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any tips on customizations?

I have one. It's a great little vehicle. Gets the gas mileage they claim and has an amazing amount of room. I think it'll be a fine little BOV. It's not all terrain by any means, but it'll get me where I need to go just fine and I can get there on one tank of gas.
Did you have any special customizations done to the cargo area? I was thinking about lining the walls with some shelving and perhaps drawers leaving the main bed clear for dog kennel and packs etc.

Also, any thoughts regarding optional windows on sliding door and rear? I somewhat like the idea of not having windows to allow for increased concealment of cargo.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The windows on that thing are nearly impossible to see into unless your face is pressed against them. I put a cage in behind the front two seats so that things couldn't slide forward, but I didn't put in the shelving. I have thing packed in those large bins to make it easier to load/unload. The rubber mat on the floor keeps things from sliding. So I can basically stack it top to bottom with the bins. Things don't slide and it packs quick. I've seen the shelving units and some of them are really nice. I have the doors that open up to 270 degrees on the back. They are great and keep you from having to walk around the world to get into the back.

·
Those were the days....
4,542 Posts
Not 4WD, not enough ground clearance. Both of which are a MUST for my BOV. Can you tow with it? The one I looked at didnt have a tow package.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think in "fleet"-looking configuration it could be stealthy and very functional. I think there's enough room to sleep in the back if there are no rear seats, right?

·
Learning
6,614 Posts
I'd also be worried about ground clearance just in case you had to do a little bit of off-roading. If you want to get some great ideas, look at the expedictionportal link. There is so much information on that site I joined!

I also wouldn't buy one of these unless I could get it with a diesel engine, like the supposed ones in Europe have. 50mpg or 25? It is a no brainer, so if Ford is being that stupid to offer them there and not here, I wouldn't buy 1. Rant off...

·
-.-. --.-
2,104 Posts
The Ford Connect "van" is like the transit vans of old. It's just a car chassis with a cargo area. Brilliant for utilitarian works, not so great for 4x4ing. It should handle light two tracking, as long as there are no ruts. Drive your FWD car up a two track sometime and I'll bet you the experiences would be similar.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
sorry OP, in this forum the only BOV thats viable looks like this.....

except painted OD green and with a "diesel" engine cuz, you know, you can just make your own diesel in like 5 minutes from grass clippings.

·
Survival Nerd
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmmm...

The scenario I have in mind is less about off-road TEOTWAWKI survival and more about Getting out of Dodge to a BOL or just simply outside of a disaster zone 'covertly'.

I have to say that the idea intrigues me. I already have a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, but I bought it before I was giving any thought prepping. Its bright orange and seems to attract attention all the time. It is a Jeep, so on the surface it sounds like a great BOV, but the fact that it stands out, is brand new, and looks like a large block of copper, it is anything but covert.

A boring white Transit Connect could be really tricked out inside for maximum gear/supply capacity and yet still be 'unremarkable'. Combined with the fuel economy and range that represents, it might just be the ticket.

Definitely:cool: food for thought.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
The scenario I have in mind is less about off-road TEOTWAWKI survival and more about Getting out of Dodge to a BOL or just simply outside of a disaster zone 'covertly'.

I have to say that the idea intrigues me. I already have a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, but I bought it before I was giving any thought prepping. Its bright orange and seems to attract attention all the time. It is a Jeep, so on the surface it sounds like a great BOV, but the fact that it stands out, is brand new, and looks like a large block of copper, it is anything but covert.

A boring white Transit Connect could be really tricked out inside for maximum gear/supply capacity and yet still be 'unremarkable'. Combined with the fuel economy and range that represents, it might just be the ticket.

Definitely:cool: food for thought.
its a great idea i was just letting you know that only giant monster trucks painted camo seem to be big hits here.

·
Learning
6,614 Posts
Trixie, no one suggested anything that you mentioned. I personally think your post privided nothing towards the question whether or no the Ford Transit is or isn't a good BOV.

The OP listed some advantages, many others posted advantages and others posted some disadvantages.

I happened to bring up ground clearance and fuel mileage, 2 very valid concerns. Apparently the OP isn't worried about ever going off road or having to possibly jump a curb or manuever around an obstacle. Which is fine, he will make his decision regardless of what we post on here.

We also posted about Europe possibly having a diesel version which gets twice the fuel economy and I simply stated if I was dead set on a Ford Transit I'd find a way to get the diesel version...especially since the OP is concerned about the range of the vehicle.

Don't rip on folks who have decided to purchase a large, camo, diesel BOV...especially since people aren't ripping on you for buying an older suburban and wanting to put a v-6 in it.

He asked for "thoughts" and they were provided, go troll in another area while we try to keep this one realistic. Granted, I like how you constantly ask how one will go about making their own diesel fuel (which you even put in one of my threads, even though I never said I was making my own diesel fuel)...but lay off the camo, 4x4, diesel attacking and logically discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the Ford Transit van.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I say go for it only if you can somehow get that diesel option. If you can't ...

Have you thought about a traditional minivan? My 2011 Sienna has 265 HP and gets 20/25 MPG, can tow 3500 pounds, and has 150 cubic feet of cargo room with the seats folded.

You wanna talk about inconspicuous? Try a minivan.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts