1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Yeah, the Freegan movement has really taken on a life of its own.

People who can afford food are doing it too. Saves food from being wasted and helps the homeless too. I think it could be dangerous because you never can tell why a food has been thrown away. Mabye it landed on the floor, or was a recall. You sure are taking your chances. Wonder if they will pick out the peanut butter products being dumped?

·
Free Born
2,446 Posts
Starving AND in Paris? That's a double slap to the face!

Reactions: Brew

·
Registered
688 Posts
Man, even the pidgeons are well fed in Paris. Probably from all the crumbs that fall from everyone carrying a bagette. It looks like everyone carrying swords made from bread.

I miss Paris.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If I can handle killing them, I'd say household pets would make a fine meal if I'm starving to death. The Indians in the old days during cold winters to avoid starvation would often eat their dogs. I think a lot of people in various cultures during times of starvation have ate pets. Trapping a stray cat might also make a good meal. It's always an option. It's estimated that there's about 44 million dogs in the United States and about 38 million cats.

·
Haha
3,407 Posts
It is true Grocery Stores throw out a lot of stuff. When I worked at Walgreen's when I was younger we had a box in the back stockroom where we put all T39. T39 was code for any food product that was damaged, past expiration or had been on the shelf too long and food items could not be on clearence.

Basically this was mostly canned and packaged foods that wern't being sold, cans that were dented or packages with lables torn or removed. These products would sit in the back for a few days until they were written up and credit from the supplier was given to the store. After this the items were tossed as the store got money for them.

Well the store I worked allowed the employees to take the food ready to be thrown out. The greatest hawl I got was when I was organizing the stock room and found that a case of tabasco sauce had broken and leaked all over a case of beef Jerkey. The jerkey which was Jack's Links was still fine in the package but had crusty red stuff all over the label.

besides the ocasional things like that mostly cans that were dented when offloaded from the truck or past expiration.

Some stores don't let employees take the products so they are always thrown out. Other stores lock their dumpsters.

Any way you put it there is treasure to be had. I don't personally dumpster dive as I leave that for the homeless so they have food to eat.

However I think this sort of thing will pick up.

-Cade

·
Registered
18 Posts
You are looking at the 1930s all over again. In the 1920s companies eliminated jobs through mechanization, pushed wages down and increased profits.
When people finally couldn't afford to buy what companies were selling the companies cut costs even further by mass layoffs and wage reductions.
Everybody was very surprised that doing so made the depressed markets even worse.

Yes, people are dumpster diving.
Around here it is mostly for empties that the divers can get refunds for, but anything else they can use they take too.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
In colorado they call it "molesting a dumpster".:xeye:
What if the dumpster was asking for it?

One of my stupid sisters used to and likely still does dumpster dive for anything she can get.
Saves on food bills so she can afford to buy booze and meth.
Fed her kids out of the bins right here in sunny So. Cal. for years.
She would also find stuff tossed out as storage sites and shopping centers as well as thrift stores for her trailer park yard sales.
She actually made fair money at that.

Reactions: blue123

·
Registered
21 Posts
For 300 million in the US that is half a sandwich each. What then?
If there comes a time where we are having to eat dogs and cats. I expect at least 30 or 40 million elderly people to be dead within the first 6 months. Plus the 2.2 million inmates in prison. It's likely they'll starve to death in their cells, unless someone lets them out. I also expect a lot of children to die as well. And then there's going to be all those who are murdered to take their food. The population will likely decline about 25% within the first few months. It really just depends upon the circumstances though. If we are down to eating cats and dogs for food, it will have gotten apocalyptic.

·
Registered
138 Posts
There is no cure for the hungry, you can't hord enough or grow enough for a family - long term.
Lets say you have a huge garden, how long do you think it would take for the starving masses to find it?
Not long!
...and you can't guard it 24/7
Lets hope it doesn't come to this.

·
I am whatever I say I am
1,308 Posts
I am going to stay out of dumpster diving for as long as I can, and then I will stay out of it some more. Dignity issues aside, I don't want to compete with the bums for rotting or rotten food. The last thing I need is to get injured or killed while foraging for something I can afford to buy.

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts
Any way you put it there is treasure to be had. I don't personally dumpster dive as I leave that for the homeless so they have food to eat.

However I think this sort of thing will pick up.

-Cade

I always suspected that you were a good person, Cade. Now I know. Good on ya'!

·
Registered
153 Posts
ive found some amazing stuff dumpster diving. Although as a means of survival I really doubt their will be much avaible when everyones desperate. Also, companies are now locking dumpsters, using more and more trash compactors and pouring gallons of bleach into their dumpsters to ward off dumpster divers. Seems like a waste of money to stop people from makeing use of excessive waste.

It used to be a lot better, some business would put really good stuff right beside the dumpster instead of in it so people would find it easier.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts