Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a box of .45 FTX 250 grain bullets by Hornady but now I can't find any reloading data for ACP. My book and the gunshops book neither covers 250 grain. Does anybody out there have any current data? I'm using Winchester 231 ball powder. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
14,187 Posts
I loaded some bear buster loads back in the 1970s with a 255 grain bullet in .45 ACP. The velocities were low, accuracy was not that good, and it beat the pistol I was using up pretty badly. Penetration with the hard cast SWC was very good though.

I've gone to a magnum revolver for such tasks back about 1981.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
I like 45 colt, not much of a 45 auto fan but, I load for my son. Hey we all have children that embarrass us. Look at where the projectile crimps. Will it work through your magazine? How much velocity loss are you going to have. Can it be expected to expand at that velocity? Once you reduce your powder down to safely load the round, will it work your action reliably? You may be better off to take them back for a refund.

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts

·
Vigilant Curmudgeon
445 Posts
That bullet is designed for 45 Colt. Pretty sure 45 ACP uses a .451 diameter projectile. The FTX's are all .452.[/quote

I was in a gun shop looking for some tough bullets, actually any bullets for my TC/ Contender 45-70 Govt. (.458 dia.)

The guy behind the counter was praising these .45 bullets he recently got in.
Really wanted to sell me on them , by a local lead caster.

My eyes rolled a little, laughed , and had to explain that .458 was not in the ballpark with the .452 gems he was thinking on.

·
reluctant sinner
16,686 Posts
There you go, your pistol will be happier. I really like my Lyman 452374 230 gr bullets. They feed in every 1911 type I have tried them in. I also have their devastator 45 ACP bullet mold but haven't done anything except break in the mold along with the 44 version

I have some sabots for my 50 Cal TC. They come in two flavors for 44 or 45 pistol bullets. Can't use them here in ML season.

·
Registered
301 Posts
It turns out they are for a sabot in a muzzleloader. I returned them for a box of factory loads and got a dollar back!

Good deal, glad you didn't try to cowboy them together. It could work, maybe, possibly, I know that .001 doesn't seem like much and somebody's brother in law's buddy may swear by it on the interwebs but its not worth being the guy to find out why it doesn't.
I have used these bullets in applications that they are not designed for velocity wise anyway. .45 Raptor, .460 S&W, and the above mentioned 450 Bushmaster. They are also identical to sabot muzzleloader projectiles as you were told.

·
Registered
301 Posts
That bullet is designed for 45 Colt. Pretty sure 45 ACP uses a .451 diameter projectile. The FTX's are all .452.[/quote

I was in a gun shop looking for some tough bullets, actually any bullets for my TC/ Contender 45-70 Govt. (.458 dia.)

The guy behind the counter was praising these .45 bullets he recently got in.
Really wanted to sell me on them , by a local lead caster.

My eyes rolled a little, laughed , and had to explain that .458 was not in the ballpark with the .452 gems he was thinking on.

Well, at least they would have been faaaast

1 - 14 of 14 Posts