Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished this book. It's the story of an American fighting in the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939) on the side of the Republic (against Franco's fascists). The American is sent into the mountains behind enemy lines where he joins up with a local, rag-tag band of guerilla fighters. With the help of the guerillas and any mountain friends of theirs he can recruit, his mission is to take and blow up a fascist controlled bridge a little ways down the mountain.

Before reading it, I thought this would be a sweeping war epic and a slow, laborious read. Not the case at all. It actually takes place in a small area (one section of mountains) with a small number of characters, over a period of 3 days. There are numerous examples of survival techniques and "using your head". It is action-packed and a fast read, and well worth it for anyone on these boards.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Great book, hard to put down. Of course I am a Hemingway fan.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
PS
try some Robert Ruark's writings, he was from my area. Pick up Something of Value, not to long but a good book.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
I reiterate gang read Robert Ruark's book's especially Something of Value it goes along the line s of what we learn here on this site.

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
Hemingway has always been one of my favorites.
I've got a book of his short stories that stays on my nightstand. I never get tired of reading his stuff. Great writer and a very imperfect man. I sure would have enjoyed drinking a few beers with him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts