Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Republic of Texas
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Iyaayas and I were talking this evening and I pointed out that we needed to sit down and figure out a point at which we pull our girls from school assuming they don't close them.

I got a pretty typical response from him which was "you're on the ground there, you know better than me."

Except I don't. I have no real idea when to pull them, how bad things should be, etc.

So I ask you; at what point will you be pulling your kids from school?

Also, public school parents only please. I know homeschool is best. I am a former homeschool Mom myself and only allowed her to go back under certain conditions. In this case, it doesn't apply.

·
Registered
34,697 Posts
I have no kids, but I have family who are teachers.

They are looking at (and carefully watching) places in the US (there are several) where the Gov is shutting down schools.

I have reminded them that if you wait for that.... You waited too late.

I recommend you do a basic risk analysis and decide ahead oftime.

For example:
If you have a immunocompromised member of the family (And IIRC you do) your family is at higher risk and should act sooner.

If you never visit anyone over 50, and your all healthy, you are at less risk.

If you can find a way to mitigate the damages (home school or work out distance learning with the school) you should act sooner.

Make it a mathematical decision, not an emotional one:
https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTMC_07.htm

·
Republic of Texas
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no kids, but I have family who are teachers.

They are looking at (and carefully watching) places in the US (there are several) where the Gov is shutting down schools.

I have reminded them that if you wait for that.... You waited too late.

I recommend you do a basic risk analysis and decide ahead oftime.

For example:
If you have a immunocompromised member of the family (And IIRC you do) your family is at higher risk and should act sooner.

If you never visit anyone over 50, and your all healthy, you are at less risk.

If you can find a way to mitigate the damages (home school or work out distance learning with the school) you should act sooner.

Make it a mathematical decision, not an emotional one:
https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newTMC_07.htm
Yeah I am immunocompromised which is why we're trying to figure out the appropriate point before it actually is too late. To be honest though, I don't think any of us can avoid catching it.

We are roughly 30 minutes from Fort Worth. Even locally in our small town, I'd say over half of the population travels that way for work. Chances are, even though I locked down on Monday, all 3 of us females in the house have been exposed many times over by now.

Add to it that Iyaayas is currently on his way to Denver after leaving St. Louis and being in Chicago yesterday, etc and I've pretty well just accepted that one of them will be bringing it into this house if it's not already.

In fact, I actually stopped prepping to avoid it and moved onto making sure I could treat the symptoms about 3 weeks ago. That doesn't mean we're not taking precautions; we are but for different reasons.

One virus my system can most likely handle provided I stay on top of managing the symptoms. I'm only 37 so I have that working WITH me even though the other stuff works against me.

But not if I'm already sick - which I currently am (sinus infection). So we're taking precautions to try and not bring anything else into the house on top of what we may already have.

I keep thinking that I'll just "know" when it's time to pull them out of school, but I don't think that's going to be the case. Whenever it is though, Texas has great homeschool laws so there is that.

·
Grevcon 10
13,388 Posts
So Iyaayas and I were talking this evening and I pointed out that we needed to sit down and figure out a point at which we pull our girls from school assuming they don't close them.

I got a pretty typical response from him which was "you're on the ground there, you know better than me."

Except I don't. I have no real idea when to pull them, how bad things should be, etc.

So I ask you; at what point will you be pulling your kids from school?

Also, public school parents only please. I know homeschool is best. I am a former homeschool Mom myself and only allowed her to go back under certain conditions. In this case, it doesn't apply.
My preschooler is out as soon as one of our probable cases is confirmed. My son, his mom still has partial custody and that could be a problem. He's going to be quarantined within the house with only me here until either his mother isn't going to try to stop me from pulling him or the school closes and his quarantine period ends.

I think the school is planning to move to online after spring break, though, and that should get some extra urgency when cases are announced.

·
Republic of Texas
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My preschooler is out as soon as one of our probable cases is confirmed. My son, his mom still has partial custody and that could be a problem. He's going to be quarantined within the house with only me here until either his mother isn't going to try to stop me from pulling him or the school closes and his quarantine period ends.

I think the school is planning to move to online after spring break, though, and that should get some extra urgency when cases are announced.
I actually do not expect our district to go online or to cancel until it is way past the point of no return. One of my girls had a teacher tell her today that CoVid-19 is "over hyped by the media and just the flu."

Livid doesn't begin to describe it but thankfully she just smiled and nodded.

·
Grevcon 10
13,388 Posts
I actually do not expect our district to go online or to cancel until it is way past the point of no return. One of my girls had a teacher tell her today that CoVid-19 is "over hyped by the media and just the flu."

Livid doesn't begin to describe it but thankfully she just smiled and nodded.
My kid has teachers like that too, but other schools are doing it and administrators will do whatever the other schools are doing.

·
Republic of Texas
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My kid has teachers like that too, but other schools are doing it and administrators will do whatever the other schools are doing.
I can hope. They sent out a memo late last week addressing it all but it was more about attendance and washing hands than anything. Friday is their last day before spring break. Half day then they're off till the 23rd I believe. I told them today that either way, I don't think they'll be going back.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don’t have kids in public school *today*, but I’m expecting to get some next week who will be legally required to go to school. It’s just something we’re going to have to live with. Our household is low-risk, and we’ll continue to minimize our ability to pass it on.

Depending on the circumstances, I may petition to enroll them in online public school for the next school year. If it “magically disappears” with the warm weather, I’m still concerned about the coming fall/winter.

·
Suffering Your Stupidity
8,751 Posts
The time to pull the kids out has likely already past, or at the least is right now. I'm sure we're all going to get this virus regardless of what we do anyway. So I say that knowing that and knowing that there will be problems for truant kids there's not much to do but wait until they call off school and roll with whatever comes next.

·
Republic of Texas
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The time to pull the kids out has likely already past, or at the least is right now. I'm sure we're all going to get this virus regardless of what we do anyway. So I say that knowing that and knowing that there will be problems for truant kids there's not much to do but wait until they call off school and roll with whatever comes next.
The truancy issue is my concern. I have one that is already bumping up against the lkkit because her bio Mom came to visit and I let her skip. Shes an honors student with a 3.6 GPA. Didnt see the harm but they threw a fit.

Unfortunately though you may be right and the answer may just be to roll with it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
For how long? This outbreak is likely to go on for many months. Some schools have closed, but two weeks isn’t going to cut it - they’ll return and it’ll just start all over again.

Luckily kids seem to be in pretty good shape with this virus - they get the mildest cases and I believe only a couple recorded deaths worldwide. But they can carry it, just like Hep-A, which sometimes sweeps through schools and daycares infecting parents and employees while the kids never even show symptoms.

It’s likely that schools simply won’t close for the length of time necessary to have a real effect, and everyone will just have to get used to that. Something like 1/3 of nurses have kids in school, what are they going to do if school is closed? This isn’t a century ago when we had lots of stay at home moms.

And if we’re closing schools, are we closing everything else? Restaurants? Church? Stores? If not, how come? What do we do with the substantial portion of our population which relies (either directly or indirectly) on the service economy?

Once people become aware of how long this is going to take, these bandaid measures of closing for a couple weeks are going to look rather silly. Life has to go on, or else we’re going to have even bigger problems.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,958 Posts
These days I would think it wouldn't be hard to do an online thing. My sister did that with hers and one is a lawyer.

Reactions: Colt

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
Wow. So you trust the media on this one, but not the CDC.

How can you do that without feeling like a complete hypocrite?

·
Sinner w/ a great Savior
3,919 Posts
Trigger point was 14 years ago. We homeschool :upsidedown: Saw the nonsense government propaganda machines and said, "No thank you." My oldest had only one VPK year and said, well that's too stressful anyway. In Florida and most other states, you can "unschool" and we're technically under the umbrella of a "private school" with no tuition costs and almost zero reporting. She has to tell them attendance, that's all. Perfect attendance every year, by the way. Imagine that.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Since this is a fairly fluid situation, I'm kinda taking things day by day at this point. But, my overall plan is to pull my son as soon as a case is confirmed in our county. He's healthy, but he was a preemie and had some minor lung problems and other health issues at birth.

His school has been hit hard this cold/flu season, but his teachers have done an excellent job keeping the classrooms disinfected and making sure the kids have ample opportunities to wash their hands. Just yesterday, his main teacher made a request for more Clorox wipes, as the kids 'change' classes (trying to get them ready for middle school) several times a day for different subjects and they are now wiping EVERYTHING down after each switch.

I stay at home and have enough supplies and resources to keep him caught up and if it comes to it, to home school him for an extended period of time. I hope it doesn't come to that, but if his school doesn't close before truancy becomes an issue, then I'll go ahead and file an intent to home school letter.

·
Republic of Texas
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow. So you trust the media on this one, but not the CDC.

How can you do that without feeling like a complete hypocrite?
I know you don't mean me b/c I wasn't the one that said it to her. It was a teacher.

And we live in a town of around 1k people. I need these people to believe that we are mindless lemmings like they are. It will be very easy for them to tell who prepared and who didn't once things start to settle. I can't even go to the DG here in town twice in a week w/out them remembering what I bought.

So she smiled and nodded and did what she was taught to do. She let him believe she agreed. For opsec reasons.

·
Republic of Texas
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Trigger point was 14 years ago. We homeschool :upsidedown: Saw the nonsense government propaganda machines and said, "No thank you." My oldest had only one VPK year and said, well that's too stressful anyway. In Florida and most other states, you can "unschool" and we're technically under the umbrella of a "private school" with no tuition costs and almost zero reporting. She has to tell them attendance, that's all. Perfect attendance every year, by the way. Imagine that.
As I said in the original post. I am a former homeschooler myself. I get it. Doesn't help in this situation.

·
Republic of Texas
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I think they're gonna finish out the week and not go back after spring break. THIS happened today and they're reopening on Thursday says they really have no intention of doing what probably does need done at this point in this area.

Not their district but close enough. Roughly 25 minutes from us give or take.

·
Getting There
170 Posts
We pulled both our girls officially March 2nd. They were sick with strep the week before so they haven't been in school since Feb 21st. We were ironically going to make March 2nd the first day of homeschooling anyway, but because of all the sickness in their school they stayed out of school sooner.

What caused us to pull the trigger? A couple of things.
1. My husband is a vet that was exposed to the burn pits and has asthma and a tendency toward breathing problems with every cold and flu that comes our way.

2. We live outside an AFB and knew people who were coming back from Germany and other countries the week of the 28th. So we wanted them home before they started potentially testing positive. Most of our neighbors are service members or work on base. So their children are also potential spreaders.

3. We did a lot of math and research as to when things would start spreading from all the people we were not testing. We expected the explosion to happen last week. I think we were right, but the tests are just now showing that.

Not going to lie, homeschooling has been rough this last week. My oldest loves it , but my youngest is having a lot of adjustment issues. Mostly just missing friends and her teacher (who was awesome). My oldest is 10 and understands why we decided to isolate. My youngest (6) on the other hand just thinks we are awful parents who don't want her to be with her friends. I still think we did the right thing, but only time will tell I guess.

·
boringly normal
308 Posts
I am damn close to it, I tell you. There are no official cases in my area, and the schools are cleaning more, cleaning during the day, etc, etc.

We all know that won't work.

I have been driving my youngest to and from, not wanting her on the bus. I'm thinking I may pull the plug next week, if the school district doesn't. The state gov. seems to be slowly getting off its ass, so we'll see.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts