Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a clue how to cook from scratch (nor do I think I have the patience). I wouldn't even know where to begin.
I have just about everything you can imagine stocked up but no bread. Again, wouldn't have a clue. I found this site:

http://www.cachelake.com/fnimall/category/FryinPan/listing.phtml

that has pan fry bread. I've read others who say it tastes good. So I ordered some and will post back when it gets here (next weekend 11th) on how it tastes.
Shelf life is around 2 yrs and will store longer if you refrigerate or freeze it. All you add is a bit of water and toss it into the fry pan for a few minutes (easy over a fire).

Has anyone heard of this bread or tried it already?
If the SHTF, it will be nice to have some bread for us folks who are not too domesticated to go with our meals :D:

·
Registered
497 Posts
You really should try cooking on your own storage only goes so far. I learned to cook in self defense my mother and may father couldn't cook to save their lives. My wife tells me it's one of the things she likes about me I'm not useless in the kitchen. Try starting with simple stuff like pancakes and flat breads. Eventually it may be a skill in much demand supermarkets may not always be around same as restaurants. When that happens if you can take a few simple ingredients and put something together you and those around you will be happier unless your good with perma dish duty. Just go to one of the many sites out there with food recipes and search they have plenty. Here are a couple sites to look at. :)

http://allrecipes.com/
http://www.campbellkitchen.com/Default.aspx I grew up on these my step mother worked for these guys and we got free soup dented cans and stuff so we ate a lot and I still like it so it's good. It might make you feel less "Domesticated" to cook a little from a can.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
I have not tried these mixes but the ones I have tried just tasted like chemicals to me

look up Johnny Cakes and Hoe Bread. really... the ingredients are simple and straight forward, easy to pre-mix, the proportions are very forgiving, instructions go like this 1) mix 2) put near fire. if you can mix gas and oil for a two stroke engine you can make a Johnny Cake

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
I can cook, I can make thin bread in a pan and I can make pancakes, but I never had any success with thicker pancakes and pan scones... I think there is a curse on me that makes it impossible to cook those.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
I recently started baking yeast bread. It's really pretty easy, only a few ingredients. Mostly it's having the patience to let the bread dough rise...

If you wanted to get a "feel" for it. Get a Krustease box mix first, then branch out to "from scratch" later on...

Allan

·
Banned
647 Posts
I can cook, I can make thin bread in a pan and I can make pancakes, but I never had any success with thicker pancakes and pan scones... I think there is a curse on me that makes it impossible to cook those.

:eek::My 'kryptonite' is candy-making:upsidedown:

Sportzcardnutt buy yourself a recipie book and follow the directions. You can do it. Or try adding things to canned food, experiment a little.

I first learned how to change the pads and rotors on my truck by reading the Haynes manual. I didn't have any leftover parts and nothing's ever fallen off:D:

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Cooking.... oddly enough I may go to sea soon cooking on shipboard... my third career change and one I'll stick with until I retire in a few years... I learned to cook in self defense because my mother was absolutely horrible at it... when I was a kid, starving was a positive step up from my mother's cooking. I used to joke that she thought I was a Greek god because every meal was either a burnt offering or a sacrifice.

In all the relationships I have had over the years, I have always done the cooking because I like it and I am always far better at it than she is. But I have learned some things.

There is a difference between cooking and baking, and a different mind set completely. Baking is like a chemistry professor making a bomb. When it calls for 1.3456789 teaspoons of baking powder it really means 1.3456789 teaspoons of baking powder. If it says 276.4 degrees it really means 276.4 degrees... if it is a 9-inch pan a 8.75 inch pan will not work.

Cooking is more like a creative project for the art teacher. If the recipe calls for water, wine will do, if it calls for rice, barley will do just fine, if it calls for lemons, limes will make it even better.

Learning to cook is easy. You just have to be willing to eat a few of your mistakes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cooking is one of my passions and cooking from scratch is something I wanted to learn for a long time, and now see it as very useful. I have successfully baked my own homemade bread, and it was delicious. Since I've perfected a recipe for lemon-pepper salmon, made both blueberry and strawberry banana nut bread, and made my own home made farmer's cheese.

Leaning to cook is not only fun, but may become vital to your survival unless you're planning on living off of plants and raw animals.

P. S. - Next I'm gonna learn how to make my own homemade wine :)

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
Yea, wine making is a must! (I've successfully done this, if you're not too picky with what you drink...).

I'm a natural with bread. It always comes out great. I never measure anything. But ovens use up a lot of energy. I picture a future with more fireplaces and underground ovens...

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hahahaha, ok, when I say 'from scratch', I mean growing & crushing/grinding whatever makes flour, how to start yeast & then somehow make it into bread!

Lord, I can cook. I know how to read directions and make things like pancakes, muffins, stews & such (I make an awesome homemade mac & cheese!). And I love making my grandmothers dumplings.

I just don't know how to do it from 'scratch'.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I believe Sportzkardnutt hit a very crucial point in this whole idea. Granted I personally feel that we can get our hands on enough processed flour until the SHTF is over and things begin to normalize. However what if something happens and the S ends up lasting a few years, or permanently changes everything including our means of getting flour and such. Can we learn how to grow and harvest wheat. Will we be bringing back the threshing floor?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I don't know if I'd see the need to grow wheat as a food the simple fact is the processing and all the work involved may not be worth it. You need is potatoes, corn, rice or other Carbohydrates. There are in fact people who can not process gluten. They do live in our society. It is possible to grow crops that are easier to process. While most food today use flour there are some other options to wheat. Personally I like Taters and corn over bread.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
I think this took a great turn..! I mean what we CALL from scratch isn't realllly from scratch. It's always good to remember.

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is an update

OMG! I got this bread yesterday and fixed a bag today. It's awesome! Perfect for the SHTF scenario.
Add half a cup of water, stir, place one tsp. oil or butter into fry pan, 5 mins. later you get a loaf of bread. And it taste great!

Nutrition facts:

Serving size 1 oz. dry wt (prepared 2 oz. ea), Servings per containter (sm. bag) 4 - makes over 1/2# of bread.

Calories: 121
Total fat: 2.85 g
Sat fat: .89 g
Trans fat: .5 g
Cholesterol: 117 mg
Sodium: 473.8 mg
Total carbohydrate: 17.71 g
Dietary Fiber: .5 g
Sugars: 3.2 g
Protein 5.25 g

I plan to order more of this! Exceeded my expectations.

I don't have a clue how to cook from scratch (nor do I think I have the patience). I wouldn't even know where to begin.
I have just about everything you can imagine stocked up but no bread. Again, wouldn't have a clue. I found this site:

http://www.cachelake.com/fnimall/category/FryinPan/listing.phtml

that has pan fry bread. I've read others who say it tastes good. So I ordered some and will post back when it gets here (next weekend 11th) on how it tastes.
Shelf life is around 2 yrs and will store longer if you refrigerate or freeze it. All you add is a bit of water and toss it into the fry pan for a few minutes (easy over a fire).

Has anyone heard of this bread or tried it already?
If the SHTF, it will be nice to have some bread for us folks who are not too domesticated to go with our meals :D:

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's my problem. I don't have any idea how to do any of that to make bread or pancakes etc. I love bread and realized I'm screwed if all hell breaks lose. I'm glad this company has this bread mix. I'm going to try and use my skillet over a nuwick candle and see if I can cook it that way.
I'm glad I helped my grandma can food when I was little. At least I can do that much! :D:

http://survivalacres.com/cgi-bin/quikstore.cgi?template=menu&search=yes&exact_match=yes
man this stuff is cheap for dehydrated food. Anyway just add water and now your cooking! I'm in Kansas and if there is one thing I know how to do, it is to grind wheat without complex machines. They sell flour grinders on some website and I buy a bushel or two from them. Once you get flower flat bread is easy :)

·
Will let you beg for food
793 Posts
it is so easy..seriously. A little flour, cold water and some salt makes a basic bread pancake..call it nan, chappati, mexican flat bread, cowboy bread.....every culture/country has its own version.

if you want i will send you a fool proof recipe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts