Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing members say it's just like the flu and for those of you who don't read a lot of the Coronavirus threads. I think this is important enough for it's own thread so maybe some of you hard headed people might understand and start taking this seriously. Trying to help save some of my SB friends. Be sure to watch the whole thing. You can thank me later.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Won't do any good (not that I blame you for trying)
I still think it's worth a shot. If just 1 person finally get's it through their thick skull then i'll be happy.

·
MortarMaggot
3,406 Posts
Some people are willfully ignorant. Usually that's what I would use describe those who don't prep & to such an extreme they can't go more than 2 days without going to the store for food. Now we've had people on here ranging from the "it's just the flu bro" crowd, which it isn't as it's actually in the cold family which means it's super contagious & at this point I think it's obvious it can't be fully contained. The flu death rate is usually listed at around 0.2% while the lower estimates on this are at 2% on up, so that's a minimum of 10X deadlier than the flu. Then there are some preppers who started buying preps early on in this crisis like paper masks, which are pretty much useless for this virus, hand sanitizer, clorox wipes, etc. I don't why if you were a prepper you wouldn't have a good supply of that stuff already. Now I see people wanting to turn their whole house into a positive pressure environment & lock down till who knows when. If people want to bury their head in the sand & say it's no big deal, that's fine, but why get upset at those who were prepared or trying to get prepared, if a bit late. I would wonder why they are on a prepper site though. I think a lot of people are scared & also maybe not really as prepared as they should've been or would have liked to been, so it's a lot easier to poo-poo it & point and laugh at those of us who were keeping an eye on it & trying to stay informed from the get go.

·
Registered
502 Posts
From what I can gather there are two types of corona virus one labeled the S type and the other the L type... The L type is the worst ( far worse ) , and the type I would assume Italy has problems with.

·
Hank Hill in Lingerie
754 Posts
It's also turned into a bit of a 'macho' contest. To admit that one is staying home, limiting social contact, etc. seems to be admitting that one is 'skeird.' And we can't have that.

We've quietly but firmly set our boundaries, which appears in some quarters to have the same affect as waving a red flag in front of a bull. =/ =/ It precipitates an avalanche of bravado.

I suspect that at least a few of these people are genuinely concerned; it's worrying them and they don't enjoy that feeling, nor the restrictions on their choices and routine and movement. I'm hoping that the bulk of it is false bravado and that after a bit of posturing and saber rattling, the He Men and She Women will rein in the gonads and quietly go home-and stay there. After all, there's no shame, we blinked first and took that hit for everyone. :) :)

Otherwise, given the age demographic, the assortment of underlying health issues, and other factors (smoking, etc.) any outbreak here will go ugly early. :( I worry about that.

·
Texas chooses people.
2,376 Posts
Oh yes, yahoo news is very trustworthy. ;)

We should learn to identify when a real threat comes down the pike. Not just become some mass news media wants to stir us up.

I'm not saying this couldn't turn in to something really bad, it's just that we arent there yet. The ones that are screaming the loudest are not the ones that I would care to listen to.

Research in to the Gates Foundation funding the Pirbright Institute. Then look in to the patents that they applied for late last year. I was wondering why the media came up with a new code name for the coronavirus. Perhaps to divert it away from the money men that funded the research in to a new string of viruses so that they could design a vacc.

No. The sky is not falling. Well not today anyhow.

·
Welcome to the rice field
1,585 Posts
As if the flu is something to thumb our nose at.

I posted these numbers in the other thread...

Since 2009 H1N1 (Chinese swine flu) has infected 100 million Americans and killed 75,000. That's more than US casualties in the Vietnam war.

https://www.statnews.com/2019/06/11/h1n1-swine-flu-10-years-later/

Didn't get the same coverage so ignorance is bliss I guess.

·
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12
20,320 Posts
I keep hearing members say it's just like the flu
I don't know anyone who said that. It's just the general category. The coronavirus is not a heart condition, does not cause stroking or high blood pressure or high blood sugar and it does not attack the digestive system. It attacks the respiratory system, and in that way it is flu-like.

I think everyone knows it's mortality rate is much higher than the flu, like 10-100x. Flu is measured in ~15-60 deaths per 100,000. This is measured in 2.5% or 2,500 per 100,000. Both primary affect those who are already immune compromised.

·
Live Free or Die
3,864 Posts
I keep hearing members say it's just like the flu and for those of you who don't read a lot of the Coronavirus threads. I think this is important enough for it's own thread so maybe some of you hard headed people might understand and start taking this seriously. Trying to help save some of my SB friends. Be sure to watch the whole thing. You can thank me later.

Joe Rogan Experience #1439 - Michael Osterholm - YouTube
I would probably want to watch it, but I don't have a spare hour and a half right now. Can you summarize?

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would probably want to watch it, but I don't have a spare hour and a half right now. Can you summarize?
Nope, you can watch it in your spare time because I could not explain it as well as the Infectious disease doc can.

Reactions: Mere_Man

·
Banned
34,722 Posts
Watch the first 7 minutes and the last 5.

~minute 21- minute 33 they are talking about CWD.
They get bac k on the corona virus at minute 33, and when they get off that topic after min 33 they don't get back on till the last 4-5 min.

·
unknown
136 Posts
Big fan of Joe Rogan's podcast, funny thing is I've noticed on the social media channel's now that Joe Rogan is talking about it......."its pretty serious"

1 - 20 of 68 Posts