Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
My Hero Was Derion Albert
2,023 Posts
I saw a video by a couple who heavily modified a Tundra, pulled the bed ans set it up as an off grid overlander.
I have an 8' bed one I am serously condsidering modding if I ever get some spare cash

·
Registered
11,353 Posts
My dad never had a 4WD while I was living with my parents. He always said they were only good for getting you stuck worse, and anyone that couldn't drive a 2WD and got stuck just...couldn't drive.

Then he got one. A 1990 Ford F250 long bed. He was older and felt like maybe digging out and self rescuing was getting to be too much like work.

And suddenly they were AWESOME!!!!:thumb:

I still have that Ford. 132,000 on the clock.

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
I’m still driving my 1990 F150 4x4 XLT 5 spd almost every day. Big camper shell which holds cabinets, tools or all the gear I’d need to BO if necessary.
It looks like death warmed over, but I’ve never gotten stuck. And I’ve been in pretty rough country when I used to do Seismic Refraction and Gravity measurements.

I just can’t fathom NOT considering a 4x4 just another essential prep.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dad never had a 4WD while I was living with my parents. He always said they were only good for getting you stuck worse, and anyone that couldn't drive a 2WD and got stuck just...couldn't drive.

Then he got one. A 1990 Ford F250 long bed. He was older and felt like maybe digging out and self rescuing was getting to be too much like work.

And suddenly they were AWESOME!!!!:thumb:

I still have that Ford. 132,000 on the clock.
ACTUALLY, when I learned and started hitting the bush with the 4X4 I was advised to keep it in 2wd, and if I started to bog in, it would force me to actually THINK about my line of path, and see if that is really the best way to go, or was it necessary, and I always had the 4X4 to get out of the trouble. It really enforced the thought process if you had to get out into a foot or two of muddy water to lock in the hubs.(then I learned that you leave the hubs locked in just not engaged...duh...)The joys of learning lessons.

I agree, you can go a lot of places in 2wd, but nutt'n beats having the 4wd for getting out of the trouble your 2wd got you into.

·
Registered
453 Posts
For a BOV always 4WD, but for a daily driver in the southern parts of the country they're a waste of money and mainly a vanity buy. You pay for a bunch of running gear that you don't use and the gas to drag around the extra weight. Around here the insurance agents start slobbering when you tell them you want to insure a 4X4.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
For a BOV always 4WD, but for a daily driver in the southern parts of the country they're a waste of money and mainly a vanity buy. You pay for a bunch of running gear that you don't use and the gas to drag around the extra weight. Around here the insurance agents start slobbering when you tell them you want to insure a 4X4.
Depends on how much you drive.

I drive my car a lot 60k miles a year or more.

My wife , maybe 6k.

So her car is the 4wd.

Does it cost extra for those 6k miles ? Yes. But it’s just too small an amount to justify a 3rd vehicle.

That said we may get a 2nd 4wd anyway.

·
Registered
15,922 Posts
Every vehicle we drive is 4WD. Just one of those things that it is better to have and not need than to need and not have.

I did lose my 1974 Power Wagon in the fire but we still have the wife's Grand Cherokee and my Geo Tracker.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I was un aware they even sold some vehicles in 2wd being from the northeast. Apparently they sell 2wd suburbans/yukon/tahoe.

I too keep it in 2wd until I start to get stuck. It's a good traction indicator.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I THINK 1978 was the last year we had a vehicle that was only 2wd. My girlfriend, soon to become wife had a nice little Chevy Camaro that she went back and forth to work...UNTIL I moved her UP NORTH after we were married.
after that
everything has been 4wd/awd

wouldn't have a vehicle without it.

I understand why if you live in LA or Texas you really might never need 4wd but when you live where "summer" is considered as 3 months of bad sledding... 4wd is the only way to go.:D::thumb:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I’ve been places in a 2WD that some guys in 4WD’s parked and walked in, but I got out and walked the approach for about 10 minutes before I drove it!

What really helped was the granny gear the transmission had. In fact I find 4WD awesome, but the low range is what I find most useful! I think driving equipment and 2WD’s through fields, dirt tracks, muddy work areas etc. really helps you when you later drive a 4WD!

SD

·
Semper Fi
8,559 Posts
You paint with a broad brush.

Out in the desert southwest 4wd comes in very handy. Get off pavement and pretty much everything is sand.

Heck I have to use it on the maintained county road (dirt) to my house in the rainy season or in winter with snow. If I can't wait until things dry out there are times you will NOT make it up my dirt drive way absent 4WD. The UPS guy has had to use it several times.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
You paint with a broad brush.

Out in the desert southwest 4wd comes in very handy. Get off pavement and pretty much everything is sand.

Heck I have to use it on the maintained county road (dirt) to my house in the rainy season or in winter with snow. If I can't wait until things dry out there are times you will NOT make it up my dirt drive way absent 4WD. The UPS guy has had to use it several times.
Don’t forget the beach. It’s nice not to get stuck at the beach.

And also heavy rain. 4wd keeps you from getting stuck in the mud

·
Registered
416 Posts
I would not buy a truck without 4wd and 4 low. The engine in 4 low can pull the truck strait up the side of a cliff, but the limitation is the tires. If you have a pickup truck with rear wheel drive and no weight in the back and the tire tread gets full of mud, then its like having slicks on ice. And having serious off road tires when most driving is done on paved roads is not the best. I try to only use 2wd in fields and just switch into 4wd when the truck starts to slip going up or down steep hills, in wet areas, or in snow. It's a nice feeling to be able to turn a knob and get out of almost anything.

·
Retired Army
5,964 Posts
I have driven a lot of off road miles during my 28 years in the Army. In fact, my favorite thing I ever did while I was in was all the times I had to (got to) drive vehicles to remote locations for various missions. Understanding we had to go there for a reason, or sometimes just to avoid the enemy, I always enjoyed the challenge of it, and the peacefulness of being off the beaten path.

I ended up picking it up as a hobby on the weekends, and am in a 4x4 club now. I've had a few different off road vehicles in the past.

I would often set up camp in the woods in my '99 Super Duty. With dual air lockers, only her size and weight would limit where she could go.

My old Suburban took me lots of places before that... I could even get away with wheeling on base because it looked like a big 4 door CUCV.

This was the last of my 3 CJ5s I've had...

Here's the thread on a CJ7 I'm building from the frame up at the moment. Long process, but she's coming together... slowly.

https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=867017

·
Registered
11,353 Posts
.....to lock in the hubs.(then I learned that you leave the hubs locked in just not engaged...duh...)The joys of learning lessons.
Pulled about 5 or 6 cars back onto the road one night on a windy snow blown corner on Hwy 40 at about 8,000 feet, finally went to ask the guy in an Isuzu Trooper sitting with one side in about 4” of snow and the other on the road if he was OK. He wasn’t.

He didn’t know about manual hubs either.:thumb:

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BACK IN early 70s, I was in my GMC 3/4 ton 4wd and had been visiting my folks up north.
so
It is early winter and while weather has been cold, no snow accumulation so far.
As I am driving along there is this brand NEW Suburban 4x4, the guy was pulling from a drive and dropped the right rear into a ditch by turning too sharply... and there he sat...right rear spinning in the air. This is a paved road, he has 3 wheels on clean dry pavement and he is not moving.

I stopped, he said it was in 4 wheel but nothing was working. I asked him if it was in 4wd when he ran off the road. He said NO, that it was in 2wd and after it dropped he put it in 4 but nothing was happening.
I asked if he read his owners manual, he admitted no.
It was when GM was starting to have auto hubs instead of the manual locking ones.
I said, "If you check I think you will see that to go to 4wd you have to be able to roll forward a few feet for them to engage.
he goes WHAT???? grabs his manual. Yep, right there in print gotta be rolling forward to engage hubs.

I locked up my manual hubs, grabbed a chain, hooked up and dragged him out onto the pavement .
He was NOT happy, said the dealer did not explain that to him.
Said they were gonna have a talk when he got back home.

Should always read the manual.:D::thumb:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts