Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets say you were savvy enough to realise you needed to be someplace besides where you were living in order to be safe if TEOTWAWKI happened . Your fianaces were in order , you had the necessary knowledge , supplies , drive etc . in order to pull it off . You searched for the " spot " where you would make your stand . You found and bought it .You developed the land , built your shelter , had water ,wood etc . You made your list and checked it twice , your "old " house is sold ,what you won't need for your new life has been sold , Your packed up and ready to leave . As you shook hands with and said good bye to family and friends and the reality of what you were about to do set in ,did you say to your self , " I am leaving them all behind so I can go off to my secret spot and be "safe" , sorta like tuff **** people , I'm otta here , hope your demise isnt too painfull .
After running all the possibilities thru our minds ( many , many times ) my wife and I , who could have bugged out to a safe BOL just could not get passed the leaving family behind bit .

So how did you do that ?

·
Why is the Rum gone?
4,774 Posts
Not every bug out location has to be on a remote mountain top somewhere.
It just has to be off the beaten path and away from the sheep lot.

I call my place my "BOL", but, it's really just a patch of ground out in the rural parts of the county. It's just 10 or 15 minutes to work, so it's convenient, but still out of the way.
It's also at the end of a dead end road so we don't get a lot of thru traffic (unless their lost).
We have enough ground (5+ acres) to have a large fruit and nut orchard, two nice garden spots (6,000 square feet total), deer and turkeys galore, a chicken yard and an apiary.

·
Registered
enough to sleep well at night
4,734 Posts
Your not moving out of their lifes, it is a 2-way street to visit you. You have a change in Lifestyle based on wants, needs, and desires. We all encounter this in life with moving out of parents house into our own place, going off to College, relocating based on job, when people get married someone moves in. The point is we encounter changes through out our whole life. Quit trying to find fault or guilt and move forward with pride as you embark upon a new chapter in your life....Congratulations on the BOL..

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
As you shook hands with and said good bye to family and friends and the reality of what you were about to do set in ,did you say to your self , " I am leaving them all behind so I can go off to my secret spot and be "safe" , sorta like tuff **** people , I'm otta here , hope your demise isnt too painfull .
My BOL is my home, and my family is welcome.

I do have mixed feelings about my husbands family as they are an irresponsible lot, but if my family showed up I would invite them in and put them to work. Big gardens and wood burning fireplaces can use a lot of tending! Then there is repair work and defense and so forth and so on.

Of course there is a plan B, but I doubt like fun that it will come to it. Plan B is if you do not work you can leave.

Plan A is I pass out the shovels and have them dig up the lawn to expand the garden.

·
Proud Army Vet!
372 Posts
My BOL isn't actually super isolated. It's the farm I grew up on, where my parents live. My parents gave me 2 acres out of their 70 to put a trailer on in exchange for help running the farm. I also have a full time job only 15 minutes away.
A BOL isn't about moving to the middle of nowhere, just about getting out of the way of sheep fleeing major cities. There are 4 backroads between my BOL and the nearest state highway. It's at the end of a gravel dead end road. Even though I remain just over an hour from St. Paul, we're well off the beaten path, in an area where the roads don't look like they go anywhere.

If you really look, you'll find that there are probably plenty of good BOLs right in your metaphorical back yard. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Lets say you were savvy enough to realise you needed to be someplace besides where you were living in order to be safe if TEOTWAWKI happened . Your fianaces were in order , you had the necessary knowledge , supplies , drive etc . in order to pull it off . You searched for the " spot " where you would make your stand . You found and bought it .You developed the land , built your shelter , had water ,wood etc . You made your list and checked it twice , your "old " house is sold ,what you won't need for your new life has been sold , Your packed up and ready to leave . As you shook hands with and said good bye to family and friends and the reality of what you were about to do set in ,did you say to your self , " I am leaving them all behind so I can go off to my secret spot and be "safe" , sorta like tuff **** people , I'm otta here , hope your demise isnt too painfull .
After running all the possibilities thru our minds ( many , many times ) my wife and I , who could have bugged out to a safe BOL just could not get passed the leaving family behind bit .

So how did you do that ?
I think you brought SHTF or TEOTWAWKI on yourself. Unless it always has been a desire of yours to exist in the country and that is the way you want to live the rest of your life.

Preparing for TEOTWAWKI doesn't mean bringing into your life.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Our children/family knew what we were doing when we moved to our bol. They thought we were crazy. That was 20 years ago.

So far the sh not htf in their lives nor in my life. But I keep on prepping just in case. They know I prep and they know they are welcome to come up if the shtf.

They continue on with living their lives. We pack up and go to visit them. I have a good friend that knows if the shtf, they are to clear out the preps in a certain spot. They laugh about it, but they are thankful.

We don't know what is going to happen or when. You need to live each day to the fullest.

The ironic thing is, you might get killed before any one of your family does.

·
If I had a voice I'd sing
7,138 Posts
I don't get it?

What does where my family and friends live have to do with where I decide to settle down?

I left my home state 27 years ago, off for greener pastures that suit me. I sorta thought that's what kids did.

My oldest has already left the nest and lives thousands of miles away. I do miss him, but I also like the idea that my family is spreading all across the country.

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
I think a lot of people call where they are living their BOL because they are essentially hobby farming (some times doing more) on a piece of rural land "a bit out of the way" like 45 mins or so down the highway from town.

You are kidding yourself if you are doing that.

If you are within 4 hours highway drive of your BOL, let alone if you can get to it on foot within 8 hrs, it is NOT a BOL as much as a rural home.

If you can get there fast, in most SHTF scenarios, so will tons of others.

If you can drive there in 4, others will accidentally do so within one day of a disaster.

If you can get there on foot in 8 hrs, others will get there on foot (by accident or seeking the same safe haven you were in picking your BOL site) within 3 days.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I think a lot of people call where they are living their BOL because they are essentially hobby farming (some times doing more) on a piece of rural land "a bit out of the way" like 45 mins or so down the highway from town.

You are kidding yourself if you are doing that.

If you are within 4 hours highway drive of your BOL, let alone if you can get to it on foot within 8 hrs, it is NOT a BOL as much as a rural home.

If you can get there fast, in most SHTF scenarios, so will tons of others.

If you can drive there in 4, others will accidentally do so within one day of a disaster.

If you can get there on foot in 8 hrs, others will get there on foot (by accident or seeking the same safe haven you were in picking your BOL site) within 3 days.
This was about peopel who decided to "bug in".
And some people live further out.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Well if you really think people are going to die. You have to tell yourself, if you stay behind and die too. The others will be no less dead.

Make the move, maybe they will visit and see the wisdom before it is too late.

I have five solid friends. Had them since highschool. We have all been through a lot together.

I wouldn't turn them away if they showed up with an overdue electric bill.

·
You talkin' to me?
8,463 Posts
My decisions are for me not them. If I've done my job they'll make good decisions, if not...so sorry. Survivial of me and my wife is my responsibility, no one else's, that's quite enough on my plate thank you.

Our kids know where our BOL is, they also know what I expect IF they decide to show up when things fall apart. Dad is a hard task master, it does not pay to **** me off, meet expectations or go away.

That might be tougher than most but you are not me.

·
If I had a voice I'd sing
7,138 Posts
Your post is off topic but I'll bite.

If you have a bugout cabin far from your residence and after SHTF it takes you hours or days to get there, by the time you do get there, there is a good chance it will be either occupied or stripped. There's posts on here all the time about people getting stuff stolen at their remote BOL. If you're lucky enough to get there first, you will likely be on your own defending it.

I would guess very few people have a cabin in a BOL that someone else hasn't seen. There are no secrets in this world, considering Google Earth.

Rural residents are way ahead of the game, because if SHTF they are where they need to be, and they are there first. They have relationships with neighbors, they eat dinner with them and trade favors with them. The neighbors will stick together and defend the area.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.