Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I have to ask, Who has a FCC LICENSE and what class.

I am a GENERAL with HF capabilities in the 75M, 40M, 20M 15M and 10M.

I also have a 2 meter radio.

The reason I have to ask, I am reading lots of story type responses to communication which will provide no after TSHTF use. :eek: EDITED to add "ON ALL OF THE PREPPERS AND SURVIVALIST SITES THAT I READ"

I can build my own antennas and talk dailey on homebrewed antennas. I have enough components in my junk drawer to produce simple transmitters and recievers in a pinch.

Hopefully we will get some real discussion on radio communcations.

If anybody would like to ask any questions please do so.

·
Banned
653 Posts
General class here, HF, 6, 2, 440, 902 and 1296 capabilities along with CB MURS and GMRS. Also have p25 DES-OFB encryption capabilities in VHF and UHF.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
535 I have to ask, did you purchase the P25 gear at a surplus site, or did you purchase from a manufacturer?

It is my understanding that a lot of the higher end equipment is for Federal use only.

Rifleman, I hope you are upgrading soon. especially if propagation in 10 Meters continues to be so lousy.

I am still working on learning CW even though there is no requirement. After I have 10 solid QSO in CW then I will work on taking my EXTRA. I want to be a NO CODE EXTRA ;) using code, that should shut the old codgers up. :thumb:

This great, I did leave out my shack equipment. Yaesu FT2800M, FT101B, and Cobra 200DX. Then for CB I have a Cobra 148GTL that I personally peak and tuned. The 148 is the best recieving CB I have ever owned. IT is leagal 100% and I have made SSB contacts from Vancouver Canada to San Diego from IDAHO. Lots of Montana, Wyoming, Oregon, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado. Two Nebraska and one north Dakota. all on legal wattages. However right now there is nothing nada zip on 11 or 10 meters.:mad:

·
Banned
653 Posts
For local and mobile comms we use P25 MURS with des-ofb encryption. I have a few Astro Sabers a couple of XTS 3000's, XTS5000's, an Astro XTVA in one car and a Astro Convertacom in the other. I also use a few Astro Spectra mobiles as base radios. I also have a keyloader with the needed cables. You're allowed to have the encryption capabilities you just can't export them or use them on the ham bands but if things go south, who's gonna care i you're using them?

Front panel programmability on the 5000's is a great plus, I'm thinking about selling the Astro Sabers and 3000's to get a few more 5000's.

In the shack I have 2 DC to daylight radios (FT-847 and TS-2000) as well as an old FT-101 as well as a 220 and 900 radio, a few hf amps, tuners and a pile of copper in the air. I also have a pair of cell tower back up batteries (SLA cells) rated at 150 amp/hr each, so I figure I can go a long time operating QRP with the 847 or ts-2000.

·
I hear the bagpipes
279 Posts
Extra class HAM. General Radiotelephone License, Ships Radar endorsement, Global Maritime Distress Safety System Maintainer License, Global Maritime Distress Safety System Operator License. U.S. Army M.A.R.S. license, FCC License Examiner, National Weather Sevice SkyWarn cert., EmComm level III. Former ARES Emergency Coordinator.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Licensed

Extra class license here. I also have a "GROL" license, almost forgot about that license, thanks GDMSS for reminding me with your post, I haven't even thought about it in a while. I actually found one of my old blue color FCC commercial licenses (now obsolete) in a box a few months ago, what a dinosaur/pack-rat, ha. I have not been as active as I should on HF, like everyone else, things seem conspire to take that free time. I do like low power (QRP), but am getting lazy, I have evolved away from CW to voice, but do try to at least keep that capability. I can cover the HF, 2M, 6M and 400 MHz. I can and do operate from solar power, even my 100 watt rigs. I like 40 meters for more local coverage, 20 meters to tune in the world, and 10 meters when it is in season. I prefer rag chewing, not a contest kind of guy. I do tinker, and have built several simple transmitters for CW in the past. I like cheap dipole antennas, don't have an automatic tuner, yet. While I like my home brew tuners, I am seriously thinking about a tiny automatic tuner for my FT-817 to be more field portable and possibly doing back-pack communications on the fly. I have dual band UHF/VHF radios in all vehicles, and do use those frequently as cell phone coverage is not good where I live. My wife is also a ham, so we have a cheap way to stay in touch while mobile. I also carry FRS/GMRS radios as a convenience item and to keep in contact with my non-ham neighbors. Guess that is a simple enough profile.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Technician here - and I have not a single radio. :( Going to at least get 2m again soon I hope I have been off the air too long. Been licensed for about 15 or so years.

·
Registered
18,822 Posts
This would be a good time for someone to tell people how important a good world ban radio would be if you BUG OUT. I am not sure I can get use to that BUG OUT thing sounds to much like freak out. the guy who bugs out may also go didi bopping along his merry way.
Any way a good Grundig ???????? whats better to just get the update world wide.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
KC4ZBR General here.
Have HF, 2m, 440, 6m, 11m.
Have a Yaesu FT-847, an old Kenwood HF, a Kenwood 2m mobile, 2Radio Shack 2m mobiles, a 2m handheld, a 440 handheld, an antenna farm outback.

There used to be something on the market, does anyone recall, that you plugged into your FM car antenna, wired into your vehicle, that did shortwave....anyone know anything about this??? think I'd like to look into this.... 73's.

·
Registered
525 Posts
FYI

Dayliterun.....Several ideas for adding SW to your car. First car radios that will do SW. Sony CDX-GT370, Sony CDX-GT470U. Older now discontinued but probably still available Blaupunkt Becker Mexico 2340 A lower cost solution would be a converter from MFJ (connects to your radio to tune in a portion of the bands), this is probably what you are talking about in your post. If you already have a SW receiver, my choice, either buy one of those wireless FM gadgets sold to play your Ipod through the car radio (an RF transmitter that transmits your SW through the FM radio), or a simple cassette adapter (plugs into a cassette tape deck in your radio if you still have one in your car radio. Note, SW reception in a moving vehicle is sometimes difficult, but worth the effort to stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I have a Technician and am very slowly working on my General. I get my OM's hand-me-downs for the car [which, considering what he uses, is usually pretty good stuff but we haven't figured out how to mount one in the car I drive at the moment].

·
Registered
96 Posts
Technician, no code, I am running 2 Yaesu FT2800M's on as a mobile, the other as a base.
I am currently working on my General ticket, I really want on HF. I also have a Kenwood 2M HT that I carry with me all the time.

·
Good Bye
1,808 Posts
Just took the upgrade and passed. It was my birthday on the 25th, since it's 1:12am that was yesterday. I took the test on a whim, and passed.

This weekend is world wide CQ contest. Made two contacts on 10m today Argentina and Ecuador. w00t

I just bought and set up a 10m radio thursday. Going to get a Kenwood TS-440s in a week or so, then I'll be able to get out on more HF.

Reactions: test

·
Registered
18,822 Posts
Ok I have to ask, Who has a FCC LICENSE and what class.

I am a GENERAL with HF capabilities in the 75M, 40M, 20M 15M and 10M.

I also have a 2 meter radio.

The reason I have to ask, I am reading lots of story type responses to communication which will provide no after TSHTF use. :eek: EDITED to add "ON ALL OF THE PREPPERS AND SURVIVALIST SITES THAT I READ"

I can build my own antennas and talk dailey on homebrewed antennas. I have enough components in my junk drawer to produce simple transmitters and recievers in a pinch.

Hopefully we will get some real discussion on radio communcations.

If anybody would like to ask any questions please do so.
I'm an Extra and loaded with equipment... my wife and daughters are all Techs. Each has their own equipment. My youngest got her ticket at the age of ten

NOT TO GO PARANOID BUT: Folks, we talk alot about the weapons and preps we have on this site, and it's open for anyone to read,,, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND you edit out your call signs as they can be looked uo to get your address... need I say more? 73...

·
Battling the Beast
169 Posts
Earlier this year my 12 year old son and I took a technician class put on by a friend of ours. He earned his Technician and I took all three tests in one sitting and earned my Extra.

·
Communications Bunker
963 Posts
Ars: Kf4lne
gmrs: Wqim928

NOT TO GO PARANOID BUT: Folks, we talk alot about the weapons and preps we have on this site, and it's open for anyone to read,,, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND you edit out your call signs as they can be looked uo to get your address... need I say more? 73...
Thats right! All of my preps and gear and money are kept inside my post office box! :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts