Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
The Over 40 Club
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only for parents of disabled children

I have started a group it is called , Parents Of Children With Disabilities.

Please consider joining to contribute your expertise with your picitular knowledge , that I do not know. And can certainly use all the help I can get.

You can get to it by going to the top of the page Quick Links , Social Groups , New Groups.

I expect that this will be a very slow growing group , we are probably a very small percentage of people on this board.

I ask you for your help and input where ever you feel that you can give it. If you know someone that this might help , please encourage them to join and contribute.

Please check back often , because I don't have a clue as what I am doing , I just feel such a heaviness on my heart for a group like this.

It is moderated , before a message will appear it will have to be approved by me , I did this to keep out any hurtful messages concerning our children.

This can all changed as we feel the need. Please help with your experience in any way that you can , and it will take some time to get this going , so if we can get other members joining please check in often to interact.

Bill

·
The Over 40 Club
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For parents with a disabled child

I have started a group it is called , Parents Of Children With Disabilities.

Please consider joining to contribute your expertise with your picitular knowledge , that I do not know. And can certainly use all the help I can get.

You can get to it by going to the top of the page Quick Links , Social Groups , New Groups.

I expect that this will be a very slow growing group , we are probably a very small percentage of people on this board.

I ask you for your help and input where ever you feel that you can give it. If you know someone that this might help , please encourage them to join and contribute.

Please check back often , because I don't have a clue as what I am doing , I just feel such a heaviness on my heart for a group like this.

It is moderated , I did this to keep out any hurtful messages concerning our children.

This can all changed as we fill the need. Please help with your experience in any way that you can , and it will take some time to get this going , so if we can get other members joining please check in often to interact.

Bill

·
The Over 40 Club
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have started a new group it is called , Parents Of Children With Disabilities.

Please consider joining to contribute your expertise with your particular knowledge , that I do not know. And can certainly use all the help I can get.

It is moderated , I did this to keep out any hurtful messages concerning our children.

This can all changed as we fill the need. Please help with your experience in any way that you can , and it will take some time to get this going , so if we can get other members joining please check in often to interact.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Glad to see this. I have a 20 month old daughter with spina bifida. Her needs make prepping a bit more difficult. Picking the brains of other folks with the same concerns would be great. I'll be joining.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm not a Parent. But, I do understand the stress and hardship it can cause at times. I have a 14y.o old brother with Autism, we first started seeing signs he was "different" when he started kinder, had very had times making and keeping friends, also hard to relate to people.

There is sadly no known cure, however, there have been reported cases of children who recovered. Not many children with autism live independently after reaching adulthood, though some become successful.

So it even stress's myself out, his big sister on where and what his going to be doing in say 10years time when his 24/

·
The Over 40 Club
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sort sad, no one is replying to this tread, i would of thought is would go well... :xeye:
Well we are a minority and membership is growing all be it very slowly , thats why I push it so hard , hoping to find the person that it might help that just hasn't seen it yet.

·
Always have an exit
3,711 Posts
Look ahead, I have a Daughter who is turning 22 in Feb. She has the mental capacity of a 7-9 YO depending on the subject.

She is now employed and living on her own. She is also a Asst. Counselor at Easter Seals for the Rocky Mountain Camp and goes up 6 times a year.

The 1st thing we taught her was she is loved, The second thing is that you are not a victim and the 3rd is the solution is yours.

So many parents fall into the victim trap (Disabilities), Funding trap, Government solution trap. My wife was the foundation and compass and both my daughter and myself are thankful she had the wisdom.

The end result is what does the person with disabilities do when the parents die?
Work backwards from that point.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have an 18 yo son with multiple disabilities. He has a trach, G-tube, braces on both legs and feet so he can walk. He cannot talk. He cannot swallow. He functions at about an 8 yo level. He needs constant supervision. He has epilepsy. He has 3 older brothers and a twin brother. He is a handful, but I wouldn't have it any other way( and he has been a royal pain today! Haha.) Prepping takes on a new dimension when you prep for a member of the family that, in case of real emergency, the hospital really DOES NOT want to see. We as parents are taught how to care for our child at home and we usually have the equipment and supplies that we need to do this. The problem is that the supplies are month to month, the insurance companies not wanting us to have too many supplies on hand at any given time. We joke that the best time for an emergency is the 2nd day of the month, right after supplies are delivered.

Seriously, prepping for a disabled member of the family takes ingenuity and time. They usually need expensive medications, supplies and equipment. Do you have the ability to transport them (I have seen some seriously wicked "off road" wheelchairs!)? What can they eat? What are their toiletry needs? My son cannot carry his own BOB, and he has two, one with supplies and one with his liquid food.

This is where faith and family come into the picture. I know that I am not alone and all of my efforts for my entire family will be enough. I firmly believe that when my strength fails, I will be supported by the Lord. He gave me this child and He gave me the skills and strength to take care of him.

Sit back, breathe, and do your best. As long as you are in the right place, your efforts will not be in vain.

·
Always have an exit
3,711 Posts
Anyone ask for help, guidance, opinions yet?

Well, my daughter started her new job. $10.00 an hour as a non medical home companion. She is in her 4th day of it. Night shift so it took her a couple of days to get the swing of it.

She is very happy and has that spring in her step. The transition between her old Job and new one went smooth.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts