Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere about somebody suggesting a pet store for polishing media. We were in Petsmart last night and while my daughter was looking at the rats, I took a look around. In the reptile aisle, they had tank bedding consisting of ground english walnut shells for :::

10quarts for 13.99

25 quarts for 24.99

Just thought I'd pass it along folks:thumb:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Lizard Litter

In respose to the original OP. Yes, the stuff at pet smart you are talking about is named 'Lizard Litter' and it's good stuff for polishing brass. I believe it's crushed English Walnuts.

For a tumbler I've found that the Harbor freight rock tumblers work pretty well. Once in a while you need to change the belt on them, but they're pretty common. I even found a source on ebay or somewhere that I got a bunch of heavy duty replacement belts for like 10$ for 10 belts which should last a darn long time.

As for the tumblers themselves, they run about 40$ on special. Keep your eye opened in magazines for harbor freight coupons, every now and then they'll have coupons for those tumblers.

Those tumblers also have other uses... google 'ball mill...'

·
Always Loaded
2,172 Posts
I've been using corn cob bedding bought at wal-mart for around $4.00 for a 8 lb bag. I mix 4/1 by weight with plain white rice and add a capfull of Nufinsh car polish. It may not be a textbook formula but my cases shine like new. So far I've cleaned about 6,000 cases using less than half the bag of corncob and about $2.50 worth of rice. Never buy commercial media.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Will The Lizards Use It First?

And if they do, won't that leave a kinda stinky finish on the brass? Also, rats make neat pets, particularily when they crawl up in bed with you at nite. We once trapped, tamed and adopted as pets two (2) baby male Pack Rats. They were good friends. HB of CJ (old coot) :)

·
Retired and luvin it!
910 Posts
One of the problems with the crushed walnuts is the grit size (ie, lizard litter). The size in the bag I got there doesn't fit through the primer hole and tends to block it. It is easy enough to clear with a paperclip or pin but is a bit of a hassle. It is good for really cruddy brass but I'll stick to 20/40 grit ground corn cob and NuFinish :)
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ECONOLINE-Blast-Media-2MVR5?Pid=search

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Many industrial suppliers have "blasting media" which is used in pneumatic cleaning systems. It runs about 25 bucks per 50 lb bag. It is made of ground walnut shell and works good enough for me when used with a little tumbling polish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts