Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Michigan Gun Nut
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Michigan. I've been advised by some people to not use Hand loads as defense rounds. Basically, according to some friends, I could get prosecuted for using them- that according to a prosecutor, I made a "killer Bullet" regardless of the actual ballistics. Are my friends- including a former sheriff's deputy correct in this?

·
Registered
428 Posts
first off im not law enforcment,
but yes, in the event that you did use your weapon in self defense and it went to court the prosecution could claim that you had intentionally made a bullet that was intended to be more lethal that normal self defense ammunition. i believe that they have used it to prove premeditation or malic before hand in some cases. from all the articles and books that i have read on concealed carry and home defense(asad mayoob books) that the prosecution can and will use anything they can in a court to screw you to the wall and get a conviction. they have even tried to use the amount of ammo that you were carrying as proof of premeditation and that your were a rambo out to kill. which is bs, but they have done it. do yourself a favor and spend the 15-20 bucks on a box of self defense ammo and avoid one legal headache in the event that you have to shoot.

·
Registered
233 Posts
You should probably ask for lawyers suggestions on this. LEO's don't know all the laws. No disrespect meant to LEO's. It isn't their job to know every law on the books, that's what the court system is for.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Here in NC you can use hand loads as long as they are not the Dum-dum or dumdum type bullets. Here you would if it came to it you might need to be able to produce the loading data for your ammo. Sorry don't know your state laws pertaining to this matter.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I heard that some states don't allow you to carry Hollow point ammo in your concealed weapon. How true it is I don't Know!

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
I heard that some states don't allow you to carry Hollow point ammo in your concealed weapon. How true it is I don't Know!

Not so in NC that is a standard Police issue type of ammo. Do dont know about other states.

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
I am neither a lawyer nor cop, but here is my two cents. Yes, it can be used as an argument against you. It has been in the past. However, I think it is probably a rare occurrence and used when the prosecutor truly believes that the person did not act in self defense.

That being said, I would err on the safe side. Spend $25 on a box of good self defense ammo. I like Federal HST, but we all have our preferences.

·
Michigan Gun Nut
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thanks. I guess I'll cough up the dough for some Hornady and save the other stuff for SHTF reserve stocks. Besides, it won't set me back that much. Nothing like employee discount.

Despite my handloading experience, I'm half tempted to buy some .38Special 158 grain rounds for my guns. Any one know different?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts