Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A running creek can be an endless power source.

Google "micro hydro system"

Essentially, you can take a couple of 4" pipes and run them from your creek to your "generator". At the generator, reduce the 4" pipes down to 1/4". The longer of a pipe run, the more head you have and the more pressure you generate. Okay, back to the 1/4" line, aim the lines to the shaft of the generator that has wheels or flags on it. Have the lines spray on the flags, thus turning the generator. You can use this to charge batteries, etc.

This is really cool and there are a lot of youtube videos on it as well.

Just one more step to helping us get off the grid...

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
If no head, you need flow. Depends on the creek/waterway...also depends, in some jurisdictions [and TacomaJPP didn't mention this but it probably affects folks where he lives as he's just one county south of where I am - Hi, TJPP from up in King County!] on whether the waterway is a salmon stream. This may be peculiar to the PNW, but it's a good idea to check it out nevertheless.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can use creeks to grind grain as well... come-on this is old tech stuff guys we just forgot how to use it.
Of course. I'm 27 and I see my grandparents generation as the generation that didn't pass that knowledge along. Television and technology has been the biggest scam in retarding society. 90%+ of America can name every finalist of American Idol for the last "x" number of seasons, but they couldn't tell you crap about planting seed, gardening, filtering water, skinning deer, butchering meat, etc.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I don't see how flow alone can make energy with out STORED ENERGY; head is stored energy (gravity) as in "oops I dropped a chunk of firewood on my toe".

Without a "head pong" there is no stored energy" and wihout water falling a substantial verticle distance in a pipe you would need to have an enormous flow to turn anything.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't see how flow alone can make energy with out STORED ENERGY; head is stored energy (gravity) as in "oops I dropped a chunk of firewood on my toe".

Without a "head pong" there is no stored energy" and wihout water falling a substantial verticle distance in a pipe you would need to have an enormous flow to turn anything.
Okay, you are taking feet and feet (let's say 300 feet) of 4" pipe that is then necked down to 1/4" line. It obviously has to run down to be conducive to flow. Therefore, you have created head and the high pressure water coming through the 1/4" line will turn the generator. There is a whole community of people in North Carolina that use this system to power their community batteries.

·
Registered
262 Posts

There is PLENTY of energy in flow, you just need the right equipment to harvest it. There are even electric gens that work off tides and the gulf stream flow.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Okay, you are taking feet and feet (let's say 300 feet) of 4" pipe that is then necked down to 1/4" line. It obviously has to run down to be conducive to flow. Therefore, you have created head and the high pressure water coming through the 1/4" line will turn the generator. There is a whole community of people in North Carolina that use this system to power their community batteries.
Really? So it doesn't back flow, but builds pressure? I gotta see this.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts