Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While a search of "Boot" and "Footwear" on the board's search function proved anything but helpful, a topic by the name of boot help was started in the Wilderness Section. Due to my proximity to a very woodsy area, as well as being a part of the "Urban" group my opinion on Footwear has been...Less than coherent.

So tell me oh Urban Preppers and Survivalists, what do you wear/plan on wearing for when SHTF.

Note: This is not solely considering a Bug Out Situation, and is actually MORE geared to a bug in though BOTH views are extremely welcome.

Commence boot/shoe/sock/foot wear discussion!

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
With footwear you get what you pay for. First for boots that depends on what good brands fit your foot best you need to check it out, second I use Thor-Lo's, but I also mark what foot I use them on. You socks retain a memory, if you always keep them on the same foot they last much longer and are more comfortable. My wife uses silk darning tread and puts a stich in the left sock. That way my socks always go on the same foot as they did when they were brand new.

Never skimp on your footwear for long term.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
It depends.

If you're in an urban area of Minnesota, then you may want to get an insulated pac boot.

If you're in an urban are of Arizona, you may want to get a a breathable hiker.

Climate has much to do with foot wear.

Many if the yuppies in my area love their Vibram five fingers.

I wear Nike tennis shoes all year round, if the weather is bad I wear a pair of Doc Martins.

·
أنا واحد
6,631 Posts
Protection and Durability are priorities, Comfort is important to me obviously. But I can not stress Durability enough. If a long term disaster or a breakdown in society happens you don't want to end up in bare feet.

If a brave confederate soldier was alive today he will tell you to buy the most durable boot money can buy. Those men were warriors. Standing shoulder to shoulder charging a line held by their brothers in barefeet at point blank range. THAT is courage.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Scarpa. Light and full boot. All around awesome.

Kayland, if you can find it. They don't ship to the US anymore but their USA hunter was the most bulletproof/comfortable boot I have ever owned. I wore those things on 110 degree days in texas and well under 0 in constant snow. They never leak, they always keep things perfect.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'm currently wearing a cheap(ish) pair of hiking boots that i got two years ago... looking at the label they are merrel.

The soles starting to get to the point that theres no tread left, the rest of the boots are in perfect condition.

Extremely comfortable and whilst not as durable as something with a harder tread still pretty good.

I've still got a pair of Aust. army boots that were in use before they were changed for the taipans but i keep them for more serious walks.

Get a compromise no point in having a boot that will last for 30 years full work if they make you wish you could cut your feet off.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Salomon shoes are built like tanks. I have a pair i wore for two years every day in an Urban environment and fishing camping and they still look new when I run them through the washing machine. My current pair is almost a year old and get ran in often, still look and feel new. I don't see myself ever buying another brand.

·
Sheepdog
1,724 Posts
Comfort or practicality? Why not both?

I would recommend Merrell, they're comfortable and durable, plus they make a style for all occassions, water, hiking, winter, summer, you name it. If it's one thing I tell people, always spend more on footwear, your feet will thank you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have been wearing merrell boots in a couple of different styles for years, these are for hiking, casual wear. for cold weather insulated gore tex danner pronghorns.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,661 Posts
I've had really good luck with Danner over the years. The higher end ones are US made and very durable. They're also quite comfy and they stay water proof longer than some brands. The down side is that they seem to run narrow and my feet are getting wider as I get older. So I'm back in the boot market too. Now looking into brands that I'm not as familiar with. But if Danner fits your feet, they are a top notch product.

Remember also, that even the high end brands don't always have the best insole. You can often replace it with a high quality aftermarket insole and increase the comfort level immensely. Good insoles can be expensive, but they're worth it if you put a lot of miles on your feet, or carry heavy loads.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would avoid merrell. I will try and find a link that shows this, but many, not all but many, of their shoes are known to fall apart under light/moderate use. When people call in to ask why their 150 shoes are falling apart after a 3 mile hike they are told, well rocks can do that, it is normal wear and tear.

I has one pair that actually had a hole through the sole after a 2 mile hike on moderate terrain. I could't believe it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bought a $100 pair of new Merrill trail hiking shoes 3 or 4 years ago; those were expensive for me... far more than I normally pay. Anyway, the first time I wore them, I got out of the car and walked to the trail head and thought, "there's a stone in my shoes", took the left one off, shook it out, checked my sock, etc., no stone, went for my walk. I got about 10 more steps and was all done. My foot killed me for about 5 months after. There was a pea-sized lump in the rubber sold, couldn't feel it with a hand but it punched on a nerve in my foot bottom. I returned the shoes and had to fight like a tiger to get a refund because nobody could see they were defective unless they wore 'em. Some other reviews of Merrill online have remarked on the same lump in one or other foot, so I dunno... I got Keen Voyagers and like them.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have tried lots of different hiking and military style boots. Here is my opinion...

Proper insoles make a bigger difference than the boot itself does provided they are close to a correct fit. You can fine tune fit and comfort with good insoles. I found a pair of the current issue Belleville army boots new at a surplus store for $17. Yes NEW for $17. If I wore them for more than a few hours I felt it. Then I bought a pair of Spenco insoles and slipped those in there. Now I can work/hike in them all day.

I have used those insoles in my Lowe Renegade hiking boots. These are very good quality, comfortable boots, and they are even more comfortable with the insole.

I have several pairs of boots. I will admit that my Danner Ft Lewis boots are my favorite. They are a bit heavy, and too hot most of the time. My Bellevilles are comfy and supportive now that I have the insoles in there. I used to only buy Merrill's, but in my opinion the quality has gone down, and they don't seam to last as long anymore. I love my Lowa Renegades. Solid boots, good support, and real comfy. If things went bad tomorrow that is more than likely the boot I would put on. Plus they fit the grey-man concept.

·
Fire For Effect
69 Posts
Id say comfort AND practicality. Personally, Belleville's held up good for me through the Marines with 2 deployments, then the mountains and weather of upstate NY and back to the desert in Arizona lol I haven't had a problem with them over the 7 years I've been wearing them

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
for backpacking... love my Hanwags...

for urban walking, hiking... it's kinda a tossup... I'd say head to REI and try some on...

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,661 Posts
Then I bought a pair of Spenco insoles and slipped those in there. Now I can work/hike in them all day.
Which Spenco insoles are you using? I'm using their cross trainers, but I could use more forefoot padding. It gets expensive buying and trying a bunch of different kinds.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts