Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Indefatigable
21,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://http://www.walletpop.com/2011/06/28/food-stamps-for-fast-food-yum-say-restaurants/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl4%7Csec1_lnk3%7C74045

As if the obesity probelm isn't bad enough...now we have this. I am not one of those people who dislike ALL people on food stamps. I know for a fact some of our soliders families wouldn't eat without them (that's just plain embarassing!) I grew up poor, we used to get "commodities" from the BIA. Not only were there big boxes of food, in the spring there were seeds. It seems like it would be a good idea to bring back this system. Not only would it get real food into some of the homes, it would create jobs for the people who pack and distribute them.

209 Posts
I know for a fact some of our soliders families wouldn't eat without them (that's just plain embarassing!)
I don't have very much sympathy for active duty servicemembers that are broke. It's just a lack of financial discipline, plain and simple. Although things might be different for reservists and guardsmen depending on their circumstances...

Gardens cost money to maintain. They're more than just putting the seeds in some dirt and sprinkling some water on it every now and then. They also require skills, and if you don't do it right then you go hungry.

I don't think it's very unreasonable allowing food stamps to be used at fast food places. Some people (myself included) do not have kitchen facilities. All I've got is a microwave, so I get nearly every meal from a restaraunt.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Depending on where you go, fast food dollar menu could be cheaper than cooking at home. Its not healthier, but I think that time constraints are a huge issue for the family today when it comes to homecooked meals. If you are a single mom and work all day, there will inevitably be times when you need a quick fast meal. Its the times we are living in unfortunately.

·
Super Moderator
14,952 Posts
Depending on where you go, fast food dollar menu could be cheaper than cooking at home. Its not healthier, but I think that time constraints are a huge issue for the family today when it comes to homecooked meals. If you are a single mom and work all day, there will inevitably be times when you need a quick fast meal. Its the times we are living in unfortunately.
It seems that people love using this line for anything. Its the times we are living in unfortunately.

Reactions: Jojo

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Excuse me, I was not trying to be cliche. When I said that, I was referring to the fact that there are not enough hours in the day to fulfill every obligation that you might have while raising a family. Todays world is very fast paced for my tastes. When you have to work all day, come home cook dinner clean up , do laundry , help your kids with homework for 2 hours and then do your own homework, get back to me. You will feel like a robot at the end of the day.

200 years ago, once the sun went down people actually got a little bit of a break. There is only so much you can do in candlelight. Todays world is open 24/7. Do you want to debate this?

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Congratulations if you only need 4 hours of sleep every night! As for myself I admit that I could not handle that schedule because I would die trying. Not to mention the fact that I couldnt afford to pay a sitter full time for 2 kids , that would be at least $300 a week.

·
Super Moderator
14,952 Posts
Listen, I am not going to get into a debate about this. I just strongly beleive that people use the excuse that they are to busy to cook and have to resort to fast food. I wont say that I dont eat it but its not because I am to busy. Sometimes a cheeseburger just tastes good.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Sorry if this thread got off topic. Jojo, did you mean this to be a conversation about how the foodstamps are used or about nutrition in general and the way society eats more fast food all the time? Foodstamps could just as well be used to buy frozen french fries and ground beef at the store. I just hope that everyone who is judging what people on foodstamps put into their mouth are eating a perfectly balanced diet everyday. Healthy food does cost more than junk food, shop the perimeter of the grocery store and you will find that out.

·
Super Moderator
14,952 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,952 Posts
Sorry if this thread got off topic. Jojo, did you mean this to be a conversation about how the foodstamps are used or about nutrition in general and the way society eats more fast food all the time? Foodstamps could just as well be used to buy frozen french fries and ground beef at the store. I just hope that everyone who is judging what people on foodstamps put into their mouth are eating a perfectly balanced diet everyday. Healthy food does cost more than junk food, shop the perimeter of the grocery store and you will find that out.
The differnce is that those who are eating those non-heathly foods are paying for it, not throu food stamps.

By the way, I have no problem with people being on food stamps. I have used WIC before which is very similar. I just hate seeing junk food bought with it.

Reactions: Jojo

·
Armed Border Collie
5,901 Posts
Wow. Sometimes it is not only time but resources that drives people to eat fast food. there are sections of our population who live in temporary housing, hotels and even cars. Without stoves, refrigerators or secure storage options a few meals from a fast food restaurant is truly justifiable.

I have a friend who lives in the next state and has been homeless for over a year due to mental illness. She does not believe she is ill and will not apply for food stamps (or the current version) or any type of assistance. But the only way she can survive is to have her friends and family send her small amounts of cash to get by day by day. Fast food is a big part of that.

On the reverse, I see lazy people who eat nothing but fast food and then wonder why they are fat. Add a magical government food card and they are in supper-sized heaven.

I'm on my way to hire a few child-laborers to get them started on those 116 hour weeks and then drive through Taco Bell. (I should drive thru the Bell first so I don't have to share). :)

·
Super Moderator
14,952 Posts
I'm on my way to hire a few child-laborers to get them started on those 116 hour weeks and then drive through Taco Bell. (I should drive thru the Bell first so I don't have to share). :)
Just be careful, that overtime can be a real killer. :thumb:

·
Indefatigable
21,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Depending on where you go, fast food dollar menu could be cheaper than cooking at home. Its not healthier, but I think that time constraints are a huge issue for the family today when it comes to homecooked meals. If you are a single mom and work all day, there will inevitably be times when you need a quick fast meal. Its the times we are living in unfortunately.[/QUOTE

I can understand about WORKING moms. Welfare breeders don't have a job, they can put down the crack pipe and pick up a skillet if they want to eat. If grocerys were delivered instead of $on a card, at least there might be some food in the home for their kids.

·
Zomby Woof
14,263 Posts
☭Comяade Яed☭;2933293 said:
I don't have very much sympathy for active duty servicemembers that are broke. It's just a lack of financial discipline, plain and simple. Although things might be different for reservists and guardsmen depending on their circumstances...

Gardens cost money to maintain. They're more than just putting the seeds in some dirt and sprinkling some water on it every now and then. They also require skills, and if you don't do it right then you go hungry.

I don't think it's very unreasonable allowing food stamps to be used at fast food places. Some people (myself included) do not have kitchen facilities. All I've got is a microwave, so I get nearly every meal from a restaraunt.
HUD housing specs require a kitchen. Though not all food stamp recipients live in HUD housing.

Fast food is unhealthy, if I am paying for your food I don't want to pay for your medical.

You must be financially fit. It costs quite a bit to eat almost exclusively from restaurants.

·
Zomby Woof
14,263 Posts
Excuse me, I was not trying to be cliche. When I said that, I was referring to the fact that there are not enough hours in the day to fulfill every obligation that you might have while raising a family. Todays world is very fast paced for my tastes. When you have to work all day, come home cook dinner clean up , do laundry , help your kids with homework for 2 hours and then do your own homework, get back to me. You will feel like a robot at the end of the day.

200 years ago, once the sun went down people actually got a little bit of a break. There is only so much you can do in candlelight. Todays world is open 24/7.

Do you want to debate this?
I most definitely do. :D:

209 Posts
HUD housing specs require a kitchen. Though not all food stamp recipients live in HUD housing.

Fast food is unhealthy, if I am paying for your food I don't want to pay for your medical.

You must be financially fit. It costs quite a bit to eat almost exclusively from restaurants.
Indeed I am, I don't receive them.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
In many urban areas, there are simply NO supermarkets. Markets just won't locate there, because the theft rates are astronomical. So you have liquor stores and fast food. Liquor stores sell a little food, but not much-their main reason for existing is to serve winos. That leaves fast food. Supermarkets and drug stores burned in the 1992 LA riots, but McD's didn't. There was a McD's right on the corner where the riot started, and people ate their Big Macs and watched the neighborhood burn. I once read that in Maywood, in LA County where it's 100% illegals, the main tax generators are McD's, Burger King, and King Taco. Maywood had a Chrysler plant until 1971. Southeast LA is full of little former company towns that were built around big employers like GM and Ford, and steel. Those employers are gone now, the illegals who live there exist on welfare, day labor, and crime.

1 - 20 of 183 Posts